Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: iso burn and download

Beans

Re: iso burn and download

F 12 is the boot manager

a few questions again

1 once i get the iso burned and insert into the drive before
    booting, i am going to tap the F 12 key?

2 i assume then a window will show giving mean option to boot?

3 then it is going to recognize the cd/dvd to install?

4 how long does it take to go through this process?

5 If it is successful it will tell me?

6 If it is not successful will it tell me?

7. If it is successful what do i do next?

8 It will show a task bar explorer bar, will firefox be
    shown here or i am not connected at this time to the
    internet?

9 if i am not connected to the internet on my wife how do i
    do that being i have no internet connection as the live cd
    is in and i would not be running windows?

10 what will tell me if my lap top is capabloe of running
    ubuntu?

11, if it is not successful what do i do to shut it down?

12. is there a system restore point?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1 once i get the iso burned and insert into the drive before
    booting, i am going to tap the F 12 key?

You put the CD in a tray and restart pc

A. if a ubuntu menu appears you are over the booting task - no hitting f12 necessary.

B. If windows is booting after restart then - Yes hit some tap, I can't say if it is f12 on your machine because on my pc I tap "delete" taste. But it is right, after starting your pc and before anything happen tap the "f12" or "f2" or "delete".

2 i assume then a window will show giving mean option to boot?

Yes, this menu window has a basic graphic, quite simple and you have
    to use arrow taps "->" to navigate the cursor and hit "enter" or "esc" for chose or deny and on the bottom line is a menu list for the keys "f1" - "f12" which you have to follow. Then you have to chose from menu something like "boot" and there you must find the booting order list where you put on the first place your cd drive and on the second the HDD.

3 then it is going to recognize the cd/dvd to install?

If you manage the boot task, then the cd is recognized and a ubuntu menu appear. THERE you chose start ubuntu without install.

4 how long does it take to go through this process?

booting - depens only on your skill (1-2min maximum if you know what to do)
    ubuntu loading - some minutes ca 3-4 can't tell exacltly. Depens on machine may be even 10 minutes if the machine is old.

5 If it is successful it will tell me?

If it is successful the desktop of Ubuntu will appear

6 If it is not successful will it tell me?

I can't say, I hope - it depends also on the kind of the problem.

7. If it is successful what do i do next?

Then enjoy the "demo" version of Ubuntu for some while and repeat the proceeding one or twice again - to practice.

8 It will show a task bar explorer bar, will firefox be
    shown here or i am not connected at this time to the
    internet?

Yes - Firefox will be there

If you are connected to the internet it depends if your hardware is supported.

If you use a cable connection the internet should work even in the "demo" modus (Ithing). But you are still only in "demo" modus.

9 if i am not connected to the internet on my wife how do i
    do that being i have no internet connection as the live cd
    is in and i would not be running windows?

This is a point. If you start Ubuntu, there is no Windows.
    There is Ubuntu and only the basic installation of Ubuntu.
    That means - like under windows - you need sometimes for additionally hardware (wlan or graphic card, ect.) additional drivers. If you use Lan cable Internet will work. And with the cable connection you can download a driver, then you install a driver and then you can start your connection to the internet per wlan.

10 what will tell me if my lap top is capabloe of running
    ubuntu?

I'm sure the laptop is capable. But you have to try it - put the cd in and start it.
    Then you will see.

11, if it is not successful what do i do to shut it down?

Usualy there come popup menu that say something is wrong and ask
    if the process should be canceled.

Because you didn't install anything on the pc nothing can happen, you can broke the process, put the cd out and restart the machine. Then the machine will boot the windows OS.

12. is there a system restore point?

As far as I know no. But you start Ubuntu from cd, you load it from cd and you don't change anything on the HDD then what the hell do you want restore??

Your windows has not been changed. If you put the cd out and restart pc windows will boot from HDD again.

In the worst case that can happen (I haven’t this problem yet) you have to reinstall your windows. And if you backup your data as I told you nothing can happen.

__________________________________________________ _

But if you will learn install Ubuntu you have to try !!!
    Last edited by doja; February 26th, 2013 at 03:39 PM.

Beans

so if i have win 7 hp, 64 bit, do i still use the ubuntu 32 bit?

i see comments that 12.4 and 12. 10 are under development, so which link should i use to burn so i ca run it from cd/or dvd, is the file size now so dvd is required

is there a specific burn speed that is better 4x or 8x on dvd if cd what speed?
    tks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rchubcitywihwy1480 View Post
    so if i have win 7 hp, 64 bit, do i still use the ubuntu 32 bit?

i see comments that 12.4 and 12. 10 are under development, so which link should i use to burn so i ca run it from cd/or dvd, is the file size now so dvd is required

is there a specific burn speed that is better 4x or 8x on dvd if cd what speed?
    tks
    both are stable versions, just that the 12.4 version will be supported longer and 12.10 is only supported for 18 months according to the installation page.

If you're using Win 7 in 64 bit that means you have a CPU that has multiple cores which would benefit from a 64 bit environment. In this case I would go with the 64 bit download version.

I'm a new Linux user overall and new to Ubuntu also and yesterday was my first time installing 12.10 64 bit on my desktop and it runs great. I use it as a HTPC mainly.

As for burn speed, normally the "auto default" speed will do. The file size is actually below 800mb, I believe it meets the requirements for a regular CD burn hence LiveCD instead of DVD.

Beans

1, why is 32 bit recommended?
    2. so download the 12.4?
    3 the buen phase is different than i have ever done.usually you down load to your pc than open your burner drag the file to it and burn after inserting your blank media// here they say insert your media, right click on the iso, is that after its downloaded, sounds like a confused direction?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

1, why is 32 bit recommended?
    Becuase 32 bit works just as well on 32bit CPU as it does on 64 bit CPU. But 64bit version only works on 64 bit CPU. and not everyone has those yet. plenty of people with older hardware and no money or need to replace it.

2. so download the 12.4?
    12.04 is a bti more polished since it is LTS. it is based on previous stable version and usually LTS version doesn't include many new experimenta features. while 12.10 though stable will have new features in it. it will also have new kernel which in linux also means new drivers for newer hadrware.

3 the buen phase is different than i have ever done.usually you down load to your pc than open your burner drag the file to it and burn after inserting your blank media// here they say insert your media, right click on the iso, is that after its downloaded, sounds like a confused direction?
    burn phase is different as you need to use the image of the operating system you downloaded to create a bootable media (DVD/CD) that can actually boot and install the operating system. bootable disk has a special "flag"/file that enable it to boot.
    for example in windows the command to do this is i think
    Code:
    format /s
    . or at least it used to be. it created a system disk one could use to boot into the OS. and your system disk in windows has also this booting capability. after all you can boto with it into the OS.

what programme are you using to burn the media? seems to me that instructions here are preety clear: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

yes, right-click on iso after you download it and after you checked the file integrity.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

ImgBurn is the program i use a lot to burn, when i open the program you can drag and drop or use the browse for file and add it to the project, when the dvd or cd is full or you are ready to proceed you follow the the process to finalize.

My win 7 toshiba 64 bit laptop is 3 years old and was rather inexpensive 400.00 , not a lot of money.

what is the right link for the 12 version to do the live cd or dvd?

will the ImgBurn program do this right?

isee there is reference to use or not use the alternative? refers to desktop?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

ImgBurn is the program i use a lot to burn, when i open the program you can drag and drop or use the browse for file and add it to the project, when the dvd or cd is full or you are ready to proceed you follow the the process to finalize.
    oh yeah. it's a good one i use it sometimes as well. you do it like so in imgburn: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

My win 7 toshiba 64 bit laptop is 3 years old and was rather inexpensive 400.00 , not a lot of money.
    is that USD? let's say it's USD. there are plenty countries where people earn less than 100 USD a month as average salary. and then you have to know that usually 80% or more have much less than the national average. so yeah for some it can be A LOT of money. for me that would be a big cost especially since i have a mashcine that is already working well enough for what i need it to do. though the mashicne is old AMD64 CPU but still. many have P4 from similar era and those are not all 64bit.

what is the right link for the 12 version to do the live cd or dvd?
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

you can also go here for images & checksums:
    12.04: http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/
    12.10: http://releases.ubuntu.com/quantal/

isee there is reference to use or not use the alternative? refers to desktop?
    not sure which alternative. but there is an alternate image of Ubuntu which uses text based install. i think it was dropped not long ago. but the minimal iso (no desktop, basic services) is still available. also known as net install since you install it all from internet later on.
    Last edited by mastablasta; February 27th, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/instal...ide/index.html

the one below refers to "alternate" to avoid?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Preparing your LiveCD

You need to create, borrow, buy or request an Ubuntu CD or Usb-stick. Once you have an Ubuntu Cd or Usb it should work as an installer and as a !LiveCD or LiveUsb. There are some downloads, such as the Alternate Cd that cannot be used as !LiveCd/Usb.

To create a LiveCd

Download Ubuntu. For a live CD, avoid the "alternate CD" & the Server Edition because it has no desktop. For installing, using the alternate CD is a good idea, if installing using the standard CD does not work.

yeas i see now AMD 64 was a beast a few years ago almost bought one.

so i should use .04 or .10
    Last edited by rchubcitywihwy1480; February 27th, 2013 at 05:21 PM.

Beans

Question Re: iso burn and download

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/i...livecd-is-dead

i tried to download it tonight 12/10 and it came in 2 files one was a disc image the other a binary file

i did not try to burn it, deleted it.

apparently it has o be a dvd?

is the download supposed to be in 1 file and an iso or disc image?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast