Thread: network backup drive recommendation?

Beans

network backup drive recommendation?

I have 3 ethernet pcs, a Kindle, a iPad, and an iPod (and a Roku) operating through a Netgear Router (N900, brand new). Looking for an affordable hard drive (at least 1TB) that I can "hang off of" the USB port on the Router and access with (at least) the ethernet pcs.

Any suggestions? Can't find anything on the hardware compatability page.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: network backup drive recommendation?

This has not much to do with Ubuntu, therefore you won't find much on the compatibility page. A harddisk is generic and can in general be used in any operating system. The interesting part is what operating systems are you using on these "ethernet pcs"?
    Windows, for example, is best used with a NTFS formatted hdd, while Mac OSX likes HFS. Linux, as far as I know, is able to work with both NTFS and HFS, and some other (EXT3, EXT4, etc.). I don't know how a Kindle/iPod/iPad could save content to a network hdd.

Beans

Re: network backup drive recommendation?

Thanks for the response. I'll probably format the network drive with NTFS, but was more worried about the "app" that comes with it. I'm sure it'll work with Windows, but I'm equally sure that it won't work with Ubuntu. Hoping that on my Ubuntu boxes (two of my pcs) it'll just be available as "another drive", but haven't tried it before.