Thread: Windows 8 doesn't see Samba Shares

Beans

Windows 8 doesn't see Samba Shares

So I've been running an ubuntu server for about 6 months now (noob) and I set up a samba share which I used with windows 7 PC's. Once it was set up everything worked fine.

Now I have 2 windows 8 PC's and neither of them have my ubuntu server samba share showing up with network discovery. If I use the IP or hostname (\\ubunutu) the shares show up and work properly.

I just double checked and my windows 7 machine still automatically discovers the server, but neither windows 8 machine does. What could be my problem?

smb.conf
    [global]
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    domain master = yes
    username map = /etc/samba/user.map
    map to guest = bad user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    wins support = true
    dns proxy = no
    netbios name = Ubuntu Server
    server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    unix password sync = yes
    local master = yes
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    os level = 65
    syslog = 0
    preferred master = yes
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    usershare allow guests = yes
    max log size = 1000
    pam password change = yes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Windows 8 doesn't see Samba Shares

Quote Originally Posted by bmather9 View Post
    So I've been running an ubuntu server for about 6 months now (noob) and I set up a samba share which I used with windows 7 PC's. Once it was set up everything worked fine.

Now I have 2 windows 8 PC's and neither of them have my ubuntu server samba share showing up with network discovery. If I use the IP or hostname (\\ubunutu) the shares show up and work properly.

I just double checked and my windows 7 machine still automatically discovers the server, but neither windows 8 machine does. What could be my problem?

smb.conf
    The fact that you can directly connect to the share tells me that the Samba server (smbd) is working. Also, the fact that you can't browse the network tells me that the Samba naming daemon (nmbd) is not working properly.

You mention that the server name is \\ubuntu but you have explicitly used the following in your smb.conf file
    Code:
    netbios name = Ubuntu Server
    ...this is wrong. The netbios name should be not have any spaces in it (and be less than 15 characters). If you explicitly declare the netbios name, the nmbd daemon will not look at the hostname to convert to the netbios name. What is the hostname of this machine?

In addition you have made this server the WINS server for the network
    Code:
    wins support = true
    ... I'll bet you haven't configured the clients to use it. For a single segment LAN (1 subnet) you don't need a WINS server. As a matter of fact the documentation discourages the use. The default is
    Code:
    wins support = no 
    ...Do you have a multi subnet network?

I would start by returning all the [global] parameters to their defaults and see if that helps, but since I have no direct Widows 8 experience it's an experienced guess.
    -BAB1

Beans

Re: Windows 8 doesn't see Samba Shares

Good news! The combination of your 2 suggestions fixed my problem; I'm not sure which was the culprit, but it seems to be working well now. The hostname of my machine is UBUNTU and I set the netbios name to be the same thing.

I find it strange that windows 7 didn't seem to have a problem using "Ubuntu Server" as the netbios name but window 8 does.

To answer your questions I do not have a multi subnet network.

Thanks for your help!