Thread: Ubuntu not booting properly

Beans

Cool Ubuntu not booting properly

Hi I'm new to using Linux as a actual OS instead of using a virtual machine and there is a problem when I boot. I'll boot then after it loads, I see my mouse and a background but nothing else. It is a good job I dual booted windows 8 and Ubuntu so I could post this.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu Not booting proberley

Can we assume you are using Ubuntu? (not: Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu) And version 12.10?

Before you installed... did you try it live? And was it OK?
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Yes I'm using Ubuntu 12.10, I tried it live it seemed to be ok so I installed the OS Booted it worked fine, until I did the updates. The up dates could of caused the problem, but I needed to get them because they had my graphics drivers in them and I was going to download steam.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WizardlyPenguin View Post
    Yes I'm using Ubuntu 12.10, I tried it live it seemed to be ok so I installed the OS Booted it worked fine, until I did the updates. The up dates could of caused the problem, but I needed to get them because they had my graphics drivers in them and I was going to download steam.
    So you seem to be suggesting that it worked OK just after install, but after updates, not so good?

Just after install, would be using the default driver for graphics.

What graphics device is it? Or is it Hybrid?
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

It is a AMD 6970 1GB GDDR5 dedicated card. This card has always worked with me for anything and has had no problems in the past.

Beans
    Distro

At the grub boot menu
    If you choose Advnaced option and then toggle down the resulting list to a older kernel, and hit enter
    Will it boot with any of those?

Beans

I tried it and it did the exactly the same thing. But I realized when I do Ctrl+Alt+Del I can log out. It looks normal then, but when I log in it goes back to the thing where I only have my mouse. Also, after I updated, I think the graphics drivers worked because my monitor is at a higher resolution.

Beans
    Distro

I'm not sure...
    Have you tried the Guest user login
    Does the same happen?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu Not booting proberley

Quote Originally Posted by WizardlyPenguin View Post
    Hi I'm new to using Linux as a actual OS instead of using a virtual machine and there is a problem when I boot. I'll boot then after it loads, I see my mouse and a background but nothing else. It is a good job I dual booted windows 8 and Ubuntu so I could post this.
    Regards.
    Distributions ain't an issue for now, this LINK might resolve your issue B-)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu not booting properly

Don't worry I solved it. All I did was reinstall Ubuntu and installed the updates and works like a dream now. Thanks for the replies though .