Thread: Added graphics card, cannot get on-board graphics to drive second monitor

Beans

Added graphics card, cannot get on-board graphics to drive second monitor

I am trying to set up dual monitors on my 12.04 desktop. I have added a GeForce 210 card, and enabled both it and the on-board VGA in the BIOS, with the GeForce 210 set as the primary display. The main display is a Dell running at 1280x1024, and the secondary display is an old Samsung (potentially) running at 1024x768.
    Is what I am trying to do even possible (running two screens with different resolutions from effectively separate graphics cards)?
    I know the second screen can display stuff, as the boot splash screen appears on it.
    I tried installing the Nvidia drivers (various versions) but had such awful problems that I thought I was going to have to do a complete reinstall - the screen went blank on startup and shutdown, and in fact wouldn't shut down at all - I had to hold down the power button. At no point when running the Nvidia drivers was the second screen detected.
    So I am now running on just the default drivers.
    The system seems to know about the hardware:

lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

Any advice would be welcome, or even a definitive statement that what I am doing just can't be done. I have searched the forums and can see that there have been a lot of issues with dual monitors and Nvidia drivers, but I couldn't find a solution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Added graphics card, cannot get on-board graphics to drive second monitor

Moved to Multimedia & Video
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.