Thread: all my printers have Disappeared!!! Some one please HELP!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

all my printers have Disappeared!!! Some one please HELP!!

I have three printers that were installed a HP1200, HP4P and a brother MFC-295cn all worked and I could print with all of them they are connected to my home lan. So this morning Feb 22, 2013 I went to my ubuntu 12.04 desktop and tryed to print out some bills that I have to pay and poof no printers at all. Could someone here give me a hand with this. This happen twice before and I had to do a reinstall but that is not an option for me now I.
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 28994

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: all my printers have Disappeared!!! Some one please HELP!!

I've not had the 'pleasure' of something like that happening. Here is what I would do.

I have a retro printer app installed. It's in the repositories and restores printer management to like it was in gnome2 before the printer management app in gnome3/Unity dumbed it down.

Code:
    system-config-printer
    It can be installed from the software center, Synaptic, or via apt-get install. You may have to do this from the SUDO/administrator account. Then <alt>f2 and type "system-config-printer". A window will open. Is there anything shown?

You have 2 H-P printers. Do you have HPLIP and HPLIP-gui installed? I've had printers paused or disabled for no apparent reason but they were still shown as installed. If this is what happened to you, it's an easy fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I've not had the 'pleasure' of something like that happening. Here is what I would do.

I have a retro printer app installed. It's in the repositories and restores printer management to like it was in gnome2 before the printer management app in gnome3/Unity dumbed it down.

Code:
    system-config-printer
    It can be installed from the software center, Synaptic, or via apt-get install. You may have to do this from the SUDO/administrator account. Then <alt>f2 and type "system-config-printer". A window will open. Is there anything shown?

You have 2 H-P printers. Do you have HPLIP and HPLIP-gui installed? I've had printers paused or disabled for no apparent reason but they were still shown as installed. If this is what happened to you, it's an easy fix.
    Could you tell me the name of the program to install?? I looked for retro and it pulled up a bunch and I need to know which one to use.. Oh thanks for any and all help..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by badman35 View Post
    Could you tell me the name of the program to install?? I looked for retro and it pulled up a bunch and I need to know which one to use.. Oh thanks for any and all help..
    I don't have Ubuntu installed so I don't have software center, I'm using Synaptic instead but either one should work. The name of the 'program' is "system-config-printer-gnome". The same name is used to launch it from a 'run' box, though I just use <alt>f2 then "system-config-printer".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I don't have Ubuntu installed so I don't have software center, I'm using Synaptic instead but either one should work. The name of the 'program' is "system-config-printer-gnome". The same name is used to launch it from a 'run' box, though I just use <alt>f2 then "system-config-printer".
    It does not show anything.. what to do now?????

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by badman35 View Post
    It does not show anything.. what to do now?????
    Any luck with HPLIP or HPLIP-gui? Worst case, I guess reinstall. I'm not really sure how to procede with HP printers. Usually they're 'just there'. I'd probably open the printer app again then click Server -> new -> printer -> select device -> network and see if anything shows up there. I have 3 networked printers and they all show up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Is it possible that the ip address of the printers on your lan changed?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gifford View Post
    Is it possible that the ip address of the printers on your lan changed?
    Something along those lines is entirely possible. I'd had problems with networked printers disappearing in the past. I finally assigned a static I.P. address to each machine then used this for a device URI:

Code:
    socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100
    where x=I.P. address. That has been quite reliable for me. Do be aware of duplicates; Just as more than one house cannot have the same postal address, more than one machine cannot have the same I.P. address. I'd imagine that the procedure to assign a static I.P. varies by machine, documentation should address it. In Brother's case, they have a separate publication that addresses network installation and configuration on their web site.