Thread: More info about file systems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

More info about file systems

Hi!

I have been reading a bit about file systems and it looks as an interesting topic. I would love to understand better the Linux file systems and things like journaling. Unfortunately, in ubuntu forums I have not seen anywhere to talk about storage or file systems in particular. Does anyone of you know any active forum that deals with that kind of topics (I have found some but they are almost dead)? Could anyone suggest me a book to read (I am quite interested in how corruption can happen and how can it be detected)?

Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: More info about file systems

Welcome to the forums.

Linux filesystems are some of the most complex and interesting out there. On this topic, Wikipedia is your friend. Start here. Links will take you everywhere. For journaling, start here. Happy explorations!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: More info about file systems

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

Linux filesystems are some of the most complex and interesting out there. On this topic, Wikipedia is your friend. Start here. Links will take you everywhere. For journaling, start here. Happy explorations!
    Exactly. File systems are amazing, but just because someone releases a file system, that doesn't mean it is 100% safe to use. Understanding them will allow you to pick the best answer for a specific use on your systems. Sometimes having 2 or 3 different file systems makes sense on some systems.

Books on file systems tend to be out of date, unless you want pure theory.

Was there a specific question or specific use case that you had?
    * Desktops
    * Servers
    * Virtual Machines
    * Large files
    * Remote files
    * Encryption
    * Booting vs Non-Booting file systems
    * RAID (HW, SW, File system options)

Lots-o-areas to discuss.