Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 won't see raid 0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 won't see raid 0

Hmm, do this test. Boot the machine with a desktop live cd, open terminal and post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo parted /dev/sda print
    Lets get that out of the way. Don't do any changes in the partitioning, leave it as it is. Just post the output of that command.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

wilco!

brb with information.. need to make a livecd and all that jazz

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Hmm, do this test. Boot the machine with a desktop live cd, open terminal and post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo parted /dev/sda print
    Lets get that out of the way. Don't do any changes in the partitioning, leave it as it is. Just post the output of that command.
    OMG!!!! this is starting to give me..MORE.. gray hairs...

I have tried making a livecd and boot it.. I have used the windows tool aswell.. tryed with both debian livecd which fails both with cd and usb.. tried the livecd guide by ubuntu and used the before mentioned windows usb live cd tool (lili) and both tried with the desktop and server version ...

the last part gives me the error /casper/vmlinuz: file not found

I'm SO hoping this is related to my grub problem???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hmm, not sure what is hapenning but I've seen other people mention the vmlinuz error too. Is this the 12.10 or the 12.04 LTS image? Use the LTS, it doesn't really matter but it should be better. Make sure the ISO file is not corrupted during download, I usually use torrent since it checks for corruption during download. And burn the cd at low speed, 8x or 10x max, not the maximum of the cd/burner. If it's an OS install cd, burn it on low speeds to minimize errors which do happen when burning but are ignored unless they are critical.

What did you use to create the usb, unetbootin or universal usb installer? On windows you can try with universal usb installer first, other options are pendrive linux and unetbootin. On win7/win8 make sure you start the program as administrator, not with the double-click. Unless you start it adminsitrator windows might not write the boot sector correctly due to security implemented with win7.

EDIT PS. If all else fails, if I'm not mistaken you can switch to terminal during the server install. Start a new install and when reaching the manual partitioning page, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 for tty1. I think it was that combination of keys. It should open a terminal where you can try running the parted command above. You won't be able to copy/paste the output since you won't be in live mode, but note down if the bios_grub flags are present on partition #1 on all disks or not. Typing exit should close the tty1 and bring you back to the installer screen.
    Last edited by darkod; March 20th, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
    Darko.

Beans

Hmm, not sure what is hapenning but I've seen other people mention the vmlinuz error too. Is this the 12.10 or the 12.04 LTS image? Use the LTS, it doesn't really matter but it should be better. Make sure the ISO file is not corrupted during download, I usually use torrent since it checks for corruption during download. And burn the cd at low speed, 8x or 10x max, not the maximum of the cd/burner. If it's an OS install cd, burn it on low speeds to minimize errors which do happen when burning but are ignored unless they are critical.

What did you use to create the usb, unetbootin or universal usb installer? On windows you can try with universal usb installer first, other options are pendrive linux and unetbootin. On win7/win8 make sure you start the program as administrator, not with the double-click. Unless you start it adminsitrator windows might not write the boot sector correctly due to security implemented with win7.

EDIT PS. If all else fails, if I'm not mistaken you can switch to terminal during the server install. Start a new install and when reaching the manual partitioning page, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 for tty1. I think it was that combination of keys. It should open a terminal where you can try running the parted command above. You won't be able to copy/paste the output since you won't be in live mode, but note down if the bios_grub flags are present on partition #1 on all disks or not. Typing exit should close the tty1 and bring you back to the installer screen.
    I have chosen to move with you BusyBox idea since im most familier with that..

but neither sudo nor parted is a valid command in the Busybox terminal??

EDIT:

I tried the livecd with ubuntu 12.04 LTS and used the usb tool suggest on the ubuntu site. Its called LILI
    Last edited by offerlam; March 20th, 2013 at 03:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try creating a usb with universal usb installer. And make sure you are trying to boot from the usb of course.

If that doesn't work, I have no idea. You might have a bad ISO, so the cd and usb both don't work.
    Darko.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@ offerlam

Sent you a PM...
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

@ Darko

Just got one major step forward

I rebooted the server and restarted the installation wizard meaning non of the options I had chosen before was picked. During partion i made the partitions reserved for bios on each disc as we have talked about before and now it worked!!!

It seems like the grup installation part haven't seen the changes i made when it erroed and so a reboot was nessesary.. thats my assumption anyway - don't know if you agree?

One, maybe lesser, problem left.

The installation continues and it spits out the CD and asks you to remove the cd from the drive - your normal installation behaviour..

I reboot expecting to see my ubuntu server to start op but then the boot says it can't find an OS installed and jump to trying PIX boot...

So my installation succeeds but something goes wrong that does my server doesn't boot the os..

any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sounds like a limitation of the board that it doesn't want to boot if there is no boot flag on at least one partition. Windows needs the boot flag but linux doesn't use it, so often it's not set during install. But many boards are made with MS in mind (surprise, surprise) and don't boot in that situation.

Try setting a boot flag on some partition, for example sda2 partition and see if it will boot in that case. There is no need to reinstall. But if you can't boot in any live mode, not sure how you will set the boot flag.
    Darko.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sounds like a limitation of the board that it doesn't want to boot if there is no boot flag on at least one partition. Windows needs the boot flag but linux doesn't use it, so often it's not set during install. But many boards are made with MS in mind (surprise, surprise) and don't boot in that situation.

Try setting a boot flag on some partition, for example sda2 partition and see if it will boot in that case. There is no need to reinstall. But if you can't boot in any live mode, not sure how you will set the boot flag.
    I'm thinking, whatever is the root partition, mark as bootable.

Darko- I'm going to include you in the PM discussion...
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast