Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64 bit nvidia driver display issue

Beans

64 bit nvidia driver display issue

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 today on my Asus G73SW-A1. The graphics card in it is an Nvidia GeForce Gtx 460M, so I downloaded the linux drivers for it and installed them.

Before I installed them, the default video driver let me view the screen in 1920 x 1080 resolution, now after this I'm stuck with 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600. I also can't see side bar, or the top bar now.

When the package was installing it said something like disabling nouveau in order to continue and gave me errors about KDMS or something.

I'm not sure what to do to fix this, it really has me annoyed because I can't believe it would break this easily on me considering I've been a windows user for years and I've never had anything like this happen that I couldn't fix easily.

Thanks
    Last edited by bnosam; November 26th, 2012 at 06:50 AM.

Beans

Re: 64 bit nvidia driver display issue

Did you check the "Additional Drivers" in the "settings" menu? Or did you just install manually?

Beans

I installed it manually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would suggest de-installing what you put on manually, and using the "additional drivers" application to get the recommended nVidia proprietary driver. Is there any reason why you would not want to go this way?
    Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    I would suggest de-installing what you put on manually, and using the "additional drivers" application to get the recommended nVidia proprietary driver. Is there any reason why you would not want to go this way?
    I uninstalled the package but it said it all couldn't be removed. So I removed all nvidia packages and it didn't fix the problem.

I didn't go that way because I didn't know I could because when I googled installing nvidia drivers on ubuntu it told me to download them from nvidia and run it manually to install the latest. If I had have known it would break my installation or there was a better way I wouldn't have done it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by bnosam View Post
    So I removed all nvidia packages and it didn't fix the problem.
    It wont be fixed until there is a driver running properly. The next thing would be to try the Additional Drivers application and see if that will install a proprietary driver for you that works properly.

Have you found that application? On the Unity desktop, you can type "additional" into the search box in the dash. You need to have an active internet connection, because the application goes off and gets the drivers on the web.
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I had a similar issue with my Nvidia GT 440.

I prefer to fix this kind of thing from terminal. You can open one from the within Ubuntu by hitting Ctrl + Alt + T.

The first thing to do is get back to the nouveau driver. To do that, you'll need to clean out all the nvidia files you installed by running the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
    Don't worry if the command above reports that the file wasn't found. You're just making sure all the nvidia stuff is gone.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia-*
    Now, restart your machine and the nouveau driver should be loaded automagically.

Once you're back at your desktop, you can either use the GUI mentioned in the previous post to install one of the proprietary nvidia drivers, or do so using Terminal.

With my GT 440, neither the nvidia-current nor the nvidia-current-updates drivers worked for me. The former displayed grub in 640 x 480 and caused problems with evolution-calendar-factory. With current-updates, the launcher wouldn't come out of auto-hide, but the nvidia-experimental-304 driver seems to work just fine. To install it from the command line, use the following commands. The first makes sure you're up-to-date, the second installs linux headers which are a dependency of the nvidia proprietary drivers, and the third installs the experimental 304 driver:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-experimental-304
    After that, restart to use the new driver.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For the record,

in Ubuntu 12.10 we go to System Settings>Software Sources>Additional Drivers tab. And there we get 4 options for those with Nvidia.

Nvidia-current (proprietary, tested)
    Nouveau (open source)
    Nvidia-current-updates (proprietary)
    Nvidia-experimental-304 (proprietary)
    Nvidia-experimental-310 (proprietary)

This is different from 12.04 where there is a separate Additional Drivers utility.

Six months ago I would have recommended the Nvidia drviers over the Nouveau drivers. But not any more. Too many broken desktops due the buggy Nvidia drivers.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I tried
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia-*
    and it said it uninstalled, I restarted and the drivers are still displayed in the additional drivers tab. I have the default nouveau driver selected. But it still hasn't changed. I'm still limited to my display modes, and I can't get back to 1920 x 1080 like it was when I installed it.

There is no launch bar on the left and no bar on the top.
    Image below:
    http://oi48.tinypic.com/210br4n.jpg

So, is it just 12.10 that is this whacky and 12.04 is good, or is it just linux is just this easily breakable?

I'd like to have nvidia drivers working too because the main reason for using linux for me is to use it for application development and may do some 3D related apps or something.
    Last edited by bnosam; November 26th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Six months ago I would have recommended the Nvidia drviers over the Nouveau drivers. But not any more. Too many broken desktops due the buggy Nvidia drivers.
    I tried the nouveau driver for a while with my GT 440 but had too many problems with corrupted video. That's why I suggested he try the proprietary drivers.

The nvidia drivers will still display in the additional drivers even though you no longer have them installed. You can verify that you're using nouveau by running the following in terminal if you don't believe the additional drivers page:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga
    I am not sure why you still have issues with the desktop. Someone above my pay grade will have to answer that for you. However, I don't think you'll do any harm by preceding with the installation of linux-headers-generic and one of the nvidia proprietary drivers as described above. I would try the experimental-304 driver if I were you since that's what worked with my GT 440, but there's no reason you can't try each of them and see which works best for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast