Thread: Let me edit my post with the solution. I have it!

Beans

Lightbulb Let me edit my post with the solution. I have it!

Hello!

I sent to Wild Man modetator:
    Hi!

I have the solution for "How to configure remote privileges for mounting of partitions via Nautilus" (Re: NX Server, policykit, remote privileges #7) today. Let me edit it, please! Then you close the topic again.

Alexandre Magno
    He replied: "since that post is so old if you would like to part you solution please start a new thread and post the solution there and use thread tools to mark the thread solved".

I sent:

Wild,

I would like to create the new topic contemplating a problem that is also related to PolicyKit, but only referencing the solutions of the old topic.

In the old closed topic I would leave a concise step-by-step.

Alexandre Magno
    I have posted "tips" in three other old threads. But I have not posted "solution" in those posts. Only "tips".

I'd like to put an exact solution in that first topic.

And I would like to open a topic with another similar problem involving Ubuntu One and perhaps ConsoleKit.

I think this improves the forum, as it leaves the threads closed with appropriate solutions. Who seek on the Internet and found these topics would be satisfied.

Wild Man suggested I bring the question to you moderators.

If he wants, I edit this post fully reproducing our messaging.

Alexandre Magno

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Let me edit my post with the solution. I have it!

My suggestion would be to create a new thread, with a link to the old one. From the forum Code of Conduct:

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Beans

My suggestion:

Yes, a new thread. But no a thread with "the solution" for the old one. Solution to the old one should be in the old one! A new thread with a new issue and a link to a analogic old post that was better solved for analogy also.

Beans

I have a solution and I have a new issue (unsolved).

A solution to a first issue that myself a old topic — a pertinent issue to that old topic.

The second issue (unsolved) does not really matter to the old topic. It actually motivates the creation of a new topic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The thread you are referring to is about an obsolete, now unsupported, version of Ubuntu. Your solution may very well work in that version, or it may not. Much has changed since 10.10. That is why we usually close old threads when they are necromanced. That is why you need to be clear about which version of Ubuntu you are working with when you post fixes.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.