Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.04 Install Problems -- Old Gateway

Beans

Re: 12.04 Install Problems -- Old Gateway

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    According to these specs that computer has a maximum of 2GB RAM.
    Just to address this, when I pull up the specs the readout shows the computer is only recognizing a total of 2GB of RAM. I was aware that was the max for Vista but could that have actually been damaging the computer?

Beans

Re: 12.04 Install Problems -- Old Gateway

Quote Originally Posted by kabukiM0n0 View Post
    I'm no expert, so don't quote me on this. But - wouldn't the problem be with the hard drives - as it didn't offer the options when installing, you didn't get to set your partitions, but merely mounted and jumbled on top of each other. (I'm not sure this is even possible).
    That's what it sounds like to me.
    Do you have important files on the system? if not - just wipe it clean, start from scratch and make it dual boot.
    Apologies for having to go for so long between replies, working on thesis right now and computing repair is not at the top of the priority list. Just looking for confirmation that the above suggestion will work OK for the laptop, going at it by doing a full factory recovery, as detailed here https://support.gateway.com/s/softwa...418su531.shtml.

I'm just very unclear if this process will still work if Vista is not the only operating system on the laptop. I ran the GUI based tool to check the C: drive from within Vista and it reported to me that there were no problems, so I'm guessing all this instability is coming from somehow doing a "bad" install of Ubuntu.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12