Thread: Accessing Ubuntu from another Ubuntu

Beans

Accessing Ubuntu from another Ubuntu

Hi All,

I have the following setting: the HDD is split in two, first half is Windows 7, second half is Ubuntu (let's call it U1). In Windows I'm running a VirtualBox in which I have installed another Ubuntu - U2.

Problem: I'd like to mount U1's main partition in U2, but I can't seem to find it. It looks like U2 cannot see beyond himself and host. How can I go around this?

Thanks for your advice,
    SxN

Beans

Re: Accessing Ubuntu from another Ubuntu

Welcome to the forums!

I think what you are describing is impossible due to the "sandbox" nature of virtual machines.

Beans

Thanks anyway, at least I know what not to search for

SxN

Beans

Hi, as i understand you want to access from virtual machine to real host disk partition. Maybe this link helps you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SxN00 View Post
    Hi All,

I have the following setting: the HDD is split in two, first half is Windows 7, second half is Ubuntu (let's call it U1). In Windows I'm running a VirtualBox in which I have installed another Ubuntu - U2.

Problem: I'd like to mount U1's main partition in U2, but I can't seem to find it. It looks like U2 cannot see beyond himself and host. How can I go around this?
    You use basic networked File Sharing in the Windows host - when you set it up for EXT4 support - and the U2 Ubuntu.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

@Melges: checked the link, it refers to an older version of VirtualBox, of the Sun era. I was working on translating in Oracle terms, when I got the suggestion from dcstar.

@dcstar: inspired by your advice, I checked on the net for software that makes ext3/ext4 volumes available for Windows, and found ext2fsd. Installed and configured, also made the whole volume shared with U2 in VirtualBox. It's running now and, so far, works perfectly. I
    Ext2fsd is offered cautiosly in write mode, but I had no problem yet writing (U2 wrote on U1).

Thanks for all your suggestions,
    SxN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Melges View Post
    Hi, as i understand you want to access from virtual machine to real host disk partition. Maybe this link helps you.
    The link on how to do this in the current user manual is https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#rawdisk.