Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     python-pyopencl : Depends: nvidia-current but it is not going to be installed
                       Recommends: nvidia-opencl-icd but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    My system is:
    Code:
    uname -a
    Linux cldev 3.5.0-24-generic #37~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Feb 7 22:09:59 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    After fresh Ubuntu install packages fglrx-updates and fglrx-amdcccle-updates were installed using apt-get.
    My video card:
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Antilles [AMD Radeon HD 6990]
    How to get pyopencl installed?

Beans

Re: Can't install python-pyopencl

Did you Google "E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

You can get a list of actual held packages with:
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections | grep hold
    If you have a problem with a broken package the first thing to try is:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    If this does not work try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f

Beans

Thanks for answers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    Did you Google "E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."?
    My bad, I tried "pyopencl" and "nvidia-current" variants. Now found advice with aptitude, see below.
    Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    You can get a list of actual held packages with:
    Code:
    If you have a problem with a broken package the first thing to try is:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    If this does not work try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    and
    dpkg --configure -a
    output nothing
    Code:
    apt-get install -f
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Tried aptitude:
    Code:
    aptitude install python-pyopencl
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      blt{a} freeglut3{a} libblas3gf{a} libboost-python1.46.1{a} libgfortran3{a} libgl1-mesa-dri{a} liblapack3gf{a} libllvm3.0{a} 
      nvidia-current{a} nvidia-settings{a} python-decorator{a} python-matplotlib{a} python-matplotlib-data{a} python-numpy{a} 
      python-opengl{a} python-pyopencl python-pyparsing{a} python-pytools{a} python-tk{a} python-tz{a} screen-resolution-extra{a} 
      tcl8.5{a} tk8.5{a} ttf-lyx{a} xserver-xorg-core{a} 
    0 packages upgraded, 25 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 88.4 MB of archives. After unpacking 284 MB will be used.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-quantal : Conflicts: libgl1-mesa-dri but 8.0.4-0ubuntu0.3 is to be installed.
     xserver-xorg-lts-quantal : Conflicts: libgl1-mesa-dri (>= 0~) but 8.0.4-0ubuntu0.3 is to be installed.
                                Conflicts: xserver-xorg-core (>= 0~) but 2:1.11.4-0ubuntu10.11 is to be installed.
     xserver-xorg-core-lts-quantal : Conflicts: xserver-xorg-core but 2:1.11.4-0ubuntu10.11 is to be installed.
    The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:                                          
    1)      ubuntu-desktop                                                        
    2)      xorg                                                                  
    3)      xserver-xorg-core-lts-quantal                                         
    4)      xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-quantal                                    
    5)      xserver-xorg-input-evdev-lts-quantal                                  
    6)      xserver-xorg-input-mouse-lts-quantal                                  
    7)      xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-lts-quantal                              
    8)      xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse-lts-quantal                                
    9)      xserver-xorg-input-wacom-lts-quantal                                  
    10)     xserver-xorg-lts-quantal                                              
    11)     xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-quantal                                    
    12)     xserver-xorg-video-ati-lts-quantal                                    
    13)     xserver-xorg-video-cirrus-lts-quantal                                 
    14)     xserver-xorg-video-fbdev-lts-quantal                                  
    15)     xserver-xorg-video-intel-lts-quantal                                  
    16)     xserver-xorg-video-mach64-lts-quantal                                 
    17)     xserver-xorg-video-mga-lts-quantal                                    
    18)     xserver-xorg-video-modesetting-lts-quantal                            
    19)     xserver-xorg-video-neomagic-lts-quantal                               
    20)     xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-lts-quantal                                
    21)     xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-quantal                             
    22)     xserver-xorg-video-r128-lts-quantal                                   
    23)     xserver-xorg-video-radeon-lts-quantal                                 
    24)     xserver-xorg-video-s3-lts-quantal                                     
    25)     xserver-xorg-video-savage-lts-quantal                                 
    26)     xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion-lts-quantal                          
    27)     xserver-xorg-video-sis-lts-quantal                                    
    28)     xserver-xorg-video-sisusb-lts-quantal                                 
    29)     xserver-xorg-video-tdfx-lts-quantal                                   
    30)     xserver-xorg-video-trident-lts-quantal                                
    31)     xserver-xorg-video-vesa-lts-quantal                                   
    32)     xserver-xorg-video-vmware-lts-quantal                                 

Keep the following packages at their current version:                   
    33)     libgl1-mesa-dri [Not Installed]                                       

Leave the following dependencies unresolved:                            
    34)     xinit recommends xserver-xorg | xserver                               
    35)     lightdm recommends xserver-xorg                                       
    36)     xserver-xorg-core recommends libgl1-mesa-dri (>= 7.10.2-4)            
    37)     xserver-xorg-lts-quantal recommends xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-quantal

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]
    I don't know what to answer.

Beans

Is a headache, i do many tries (messy things) in ubuntu 12.04 to run pyopencl.
    I format and install ubuntu 13.10 waiting this problem solved, but is harderd, i couldn't install and run this time.
    I have an APU A8.
    Code:
     $ lspci |grep -i vga
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7560D]
    When install pyopencl is forced to install nvidia-current and remove fglrx and viceversa.
    When reinstall fglrx conflict resolve to remove nvidia and pyopencl.
    are AMD users a second-class citizens? is a joke, but
    here we have a eternal problem with pyopencl-nvidia dependences and AMD users.

Now i have to downgrade, but i don't remember how i do last time,
    i didn't think that steps would helpfull in a near future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It is solved in Debian since 2012(!!), so it just needs to be taken from upstream.

http://wiki.tiker.net/PyOpenCL/Insta...n/Linux/Ubuntu has a working solution.