Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu breaks Win7 desktop backround?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Installing Ubuntu breaks Win7 desktop backround?

I installed Ubuntu via burning the iso onto a disc, and installing that way, installed alongside Win7. Because I host a minecraft server, (everyone was offline before I installed, it was almost midnight.) so I couldn't play with Ubuntu yet, but this morning when I went to finish the installation, I immediately went to Win7 to load up my server as usual, then I noticed my desktop backround wasn't working. I changed it to a few others and still no change, it's black. I'd like to know how to fix this, and why it does this.

OS's: Windows 7, Ubuntu 12.10 (Install method: Disc)
    RAM: 4GB
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor.
    Video Card: Radeon HD5450.
    If any other information is required, just ask.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Installing Ubuntu breaks Win7 desktop backround?

This is a bit confusing.
    You installed ubuntu on a partition or using wubi? And what do you mean by "...when I went to finish the installation, I immediately went to Win7...". Was the installation somehow canceled of incomplete?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thermion View Post
    This is a bit confusing.
    You installed ubuntu on a partition or using wubi? And what do you mean by "...when I went to finish the installation, I immediately went to Win7...". Was the installation somehow canceled of incomplete?
    Sorry, I didn't proofread it. I meant to say, "When I finished the installation, I immediately switched to Win7...".
    I installed Ubuntu via http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop choosing Ubuntu 12.10. Not sure, I just followed the main installation, my partition was set around 500 gigs to left and 400 to right. (No images or words were said on either side for partitions, so I guessed left was Win7 like on the instructions for installation. (I read them just to be sure I wouldn't screw anything up.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Presuming that you did not choose the "Windows Installer" option on that page, you must have shrunk Win7 to create an unallocated area of disk space in which to install Ubuntu.

So, HOW did you do that? Did you go into Win7 Disk Management and do the shrinkage from there? Or, did you use the "slider" in the Ubuntu installer to do the shrinkage?

Asking because, if you did the latter (slider), you most likely corrupted some stuff in the Win7 filesystem -- as that happens sometimes when you shrink the Win7 OS partition from "outside" Windows.

When that happens, any number of functions can suddenly be broken.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Windows 7 background goes to black when there is an activation problem. Did you also get a message saying that your windows copy might not be legitimate?

As far as I know, a wildly used Windows crack hijacks the Windows bootloader, so I guess that the legitimate activation check is placed there too. Perhaps something went wrong during installation, the Windows bootloader got messed and Windows replaced it with a vanila bootloader that doesn't know about you activation code yet.

Just call Microsoft and activate Windows.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Presuming that you did not choose the "Windows Installer" option on that page, you must have shrunk Win7 to create an unallocated area of disk space in which to install Ubuntu.

So, HOW did you do that? Did you go into Win7 Disk Management and do the shrinkage from there? Or, did you use the "slider" in the Ubuntu installer to do the shrinkage?

Asking because, if you did the latter (slider), you most likely corrupted some stuff in the Win7 filesystem -- as that happens sometimes when you shrink the Win7 OS partition from "outside" Windows.

When that happens, any number of functions can suddenly be broken.
    All I did was install ubuntu, giving Win7 about 500 Gb (still have 200GB leftover, checked C: for win7).
    hm. you're possibly right about the corruption thing. anyway to fix it?

EDIT: Although I'm not sure about corruption, because I have yet to find ANY other files that are damaged.
    Last edited by Deliphin; February 21st, 2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: see EDIT:

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    Windows 7 background goes to black when there is an activation problem. Did you also get a message saying that your windows copy might not be legitimate?

As far as I know, a wildly used Windows crack hijacks the Windows bootloader, so I guess that the legitimate activation check is placed there too. Perhaps something went wrong during installation, the Windows bootloader got messed and Windows replaced it with a vanila bootloader that doesn't know about you activation code yet.

Just call Microsoft and activate Windows.
    My copy of Windows 7 is legitimate. I didn't get any message about the legitimacy of my Win7.
    Last edited by Deliphin; February 20th, 2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: "Legitimate" to "legitimate"

Beans
    Distro

Forgot to mention, I haven't turned off my computer since I installed ubuntu, would a restart fix this?

Beans
    Distro

Oh! I just thought! Could the ubuntu boot thing be the cause? (As in, when the computer loads up, when you get to the point you choose OS, it a weird color instead of black, and says grub at the top.) If so, how do I uninstall it? And will removing it interfere with Ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Deliphin View Post
    Oh! I just thought! Could the ubuntu boot thing be the cause? (As in, when the computer loads up, when you get to the point you choose OS, it a weird color instead of black, and says grub at the top.) If so, how do I uninstall it? And will removing it interfere with Ubuntu?
    You need Grub to dual boot between Ubuntu and Windows. The grub with Ubuntu is typically purple, when you choose Win 7 it will load your windows. The background you are talking about is your desktop or the boot screen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast