Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Ubuntu breaks Win7 desktop backround?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Installing Ubuntu breaks Win7 desktop backround?

Don't mean to discourage you, but if you continue to have desktop problems in Win7, the best place to go is a Windows 7 forum (sevenforums.com) -- as they have forum sections and tutorials that deal with this. IF it is an activation problem, then can tell you how to check that and fix it.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

No, earlier, I first installed the Windows Installer version, when I got to the menu where you choose the OS, it said Windows 7, and Ubuntu. (I switched to disc because steam didn't work on windows installer version, I uninstalled the windows installer version using the built in uninstall.exe before installing disc version.) When I say the screen is NOW black, I mean my desktop screen, when I say it WAS black, I mean the boot screen.
    EDIT: Was talking to cloak and pidgeon, forgot I hit quick reply and not quote.
    Last edited by Deliphin; February 23rd, 2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: see edit.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Don't mean to discourage you, but if you continue to have desktop problems in Win7, the best place to go is a Windows 7 forum (sevenforums.com) -- as they have forum sections and tutorials that deal with this. IF it is an activation problem, then can tell you how to check that and fix it.
    Alright, I'll try it, it's just I came here first because I've never had this problem before installing Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

And, if you want to resize partitions, do NOT, repeat NOT use Ubuntu or Linux utilities to resize Win7. Doing so risks corrupting Win7 and rendering it unbootable. Use the Win7 Disk Management utility to do the resizing.

Then, when you're done, boot into Win7 a couple of times to let it make filesystem adjustments.

THEN, you can boot into the Ubuntu CD and use GParted to resize the Ubuntu partitions.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

windows wallpaper black is normally a problem with the activation issues is your windows 7 is genuine (check it in right click on computer --> system properties) if found not genuine logo then reactivate it... otherwise u just need to restart it if the problem still persists..

what about your ubuntu installation is it works fine...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    And, if you want to resize partitions, do NOT, repeat NOT use Ubuntu or Linux utilities to resize Win7. Doing so risks corrupting Win7 and rendering it unbootable. Use the Win7 Disk Management utility to do the resizing.

Then, when you're done, boot into Win7 a couple of times to let it make filesystem adjustments.

THEN, you can boot into the Ubuntu CD and use GParted to resize the Ubuntu partitions.
    I tried Win7 Disk Management, but I couldn't seem to find how to actually change the partitions. All I can figure out how to do is resize them.
    EDIT: I might as well say this, to save you time, could you just link me a good tutorial?
    Last edited by Deliphin; February 25th, 2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: see EDIT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12