Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: GPG Keyblock Import Problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    6

    GPG Keyblock Import Problems

    copying my exact bash command

    keith@Boss ~ $ gpg --import "key.txt"
    gpg: can't open `key.txt': No such file or directory
    gpg: Total number processed: 0


    Ok so this worked perfectly fine about a week ago then all of a sudden wouldn't work. I tried a fresh install of linux 13 Maya and I still get the same error message.

    The file DOES exist so I'm past that problem. I'm trying to import a keyblock to my keyring. I saved the keyblock as a .txt file just as the gnupg guide prompts. As i said, this exact method has worked fine in the past. It seems whenever I use a command in konsole that incorporates file paths, I get the same error "no such file or directory"

    HELPPP
    Last edited by Artificial Intelligence; March 12th, 2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added prefix

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beans
    13,510
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: GPG Keyblock Import Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Creenome View Post
    copying my exact bash command

    keith@Boss ~ $ gpg --import "key.txt"
    gpg: can't open `key.txt': No such file or directory
    gpg: Total number processed: 0
    .........
    1. What version of Ubuntu are you using?
    2. Provide the output of:
      Code:
      ls key.txt
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    6

    Re: GPG Keyblock Import Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    1. What version of Ubuntu are you using?
    2. Provide the output of:
      Code:
      ls key.txt
    Im using Mint 13 Maya 3.2.0 x64
    The output of ls reads the error
    "ls: cannot access key.txt: No such file or directory"
    But I assure you, I'm looking at the file right now.
    Last edited by Creenome; February 27th, 2013 at 03:58 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    51.8° N 5.8° E
    Beans
    3,262
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: GPG Keyblock Import Problems

    Is it present in the right directory? If you type
    Code:
    ls
    right before the
    Code:
    gpg --import "key.txt"
    , does it show the file key.txt? If not, you should give the correct path, if it does, something funny may be going on with the file name, like non-printing characters being present.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    6

    Re: GPG Keyblock Import Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Is it present in the right directory? If you type
    Code:
    ls
    right before the
    Code:
    gpg --import "key.txt"
    , does it show the file key.txt? If not, you should give the correct path, if it does, something funny may be going on with the file name, like non-printing characters being present.
    Well typing
    Code:
    ls
    provides me with my home folders including "public keys" in which my key.txt file is located in.

    I moved my "key.txt" into my home folder and ran
    Code:
    ls
    and my "key.txt" shows up also.
    Last edited by Creenome; February 27th, 2013 at 09:16 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    51.8° N 5.8° E
    Beans
    3,262
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: GPG Keyblock Import Problems

    If the file "key.txt" is in the directory "public keys", you may need
    Code:
    gpg --import "~/public keys/key.txt"
    .
    gpg --import "key.txt"
    would only work if the file were located in your current directory, the directory where you are in your terminal when calling gpg. Assuming gpg doesn't search, which it appears not to do.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    6

    Re: GPG Keyblock Import Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    If the file "key.txt" is in the directory "public keys", you may need
    Code:
    gpg --import "~/public keys/key.txt"
    .
    gpg --import "key.txt"
    would only work if the file were located in your current directory, the directory where you are in your terminal when calling gpg. Assuming gpg doesn't search, which it appears not to do.
    Running the command as you point out also returns "no such file or directory"
    Ive tried moving file locations and running konsole in the current directory as my "key.txt".
    Neither of these work.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    6

    Re: GPG Keyblock Import Problems

    Bump

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •