Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cannot Create Ubuntu 13.04 Startup Disk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Cannot Create Ubuntu 13.04 Startup Disk

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Buist View Post
    Figured out SDC was not picking up the right ISO after I chose it from the Other button. I managed to get it to pick the Ubuntu 13.04 ISO, the creation process went further but crashed again. Seems I have to limit myself to virtual machines or tackle the network-based install. No regular user will attempt such convoluted process. This just makes no sens to package a Linux distro requiring so much fiddling around to install. I hope 13.10 will at least trim down the ISO size to 700Mb. Any variant of Ubuntu with such an ISO file? Booting up from a CD is slower but at least it works.
    =D>
    Great job Canonical.

Recently I found out, that this dreaded create startup usb disk (nonsense) is still valid for Ubuntu 13.10, either. The prog uses to crash without an understandable hint what went wrong. It not even dumps something to /var/log/*. It simply dies. Sometimes the crash report comes up. But the messages don't lead to a solution, either.

That program seems to have at least two problems built into.
    1st) It needs a BLANK FORMATED FAT USB STICK. The cleanup routine seems to have several internal problems or need some unknown prerequisites.
    2nd) The USB stick MAY NOT HAVE MORE THAN ONE FAT PARTITION. If it has the boot image installer has problems.

In the past I always used to have a second FAT partition (at least on drives of size 8 GB or larger) to have persistent data on it. With this approach this does not work anymore.

My workaround was the following:
    I first have had to install netbootin from repos on a 12.10 machine to get a working 13.10 kubuntu install stick. Booting from this one I could create a 13.10 ubuntu install USB stick. This one I used again (with above mentioned two preconditions/restrictions) to create the final kubuntu install USB stick.

Netbootin does provide its own (character based) boot menu. Therefore I did overwrite that kubuntu install disk another time.

As Eric stated out: It would be highly appreciated and a very good idea to make this procedure as bullet proof as possible. Or to at least provide another simple way to bring Ubuntu painless on a new machine. DVD is a bad choice as everything lasts to long.

Hope the tests with the server image will bring more joy and less surprises with it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    We're now well into the 13.10 dev cycle.

Thread moved to General Help from the U+1 forum.
    True, but the trouble stays...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lptr View Post
    True, but the trouble stays...
    @lptr, no need to smite your brow. It's why I moved the thread over three months ago. It was in the Ubuntu +1 development forum. It will get wider exposure here in General Help. The alternative was to leave it where it was and close it, which would have been less helpful.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234