Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu tablet coming today?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: ubuntu tablet coming today?

Not to clip the wings of those excited about this announcement (I am, at heart, also very excited), but this announcement feels oddly familiar - along the same lines as the initial ones for Ubuntu phone and Ubuntu for Android.

I have a nagging suspicion that this "announcement" is more geared toward OEMs at this point (even if they have a specific device in mind for the very near future) than regular, "Joe-everyday" users who are suddenly imagining this as installable on the device of their choosing.

Call me cynical, but I really am hoping that this is solid - that I'm wrong.

Again, not to rain on everyone/anyone's parade, I guess I just don't want to get overly excited only to be disappointed...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MyTinFoilHat View Post
    I have a nagging suspicion that this "announcement" is more geared toward OEMs at this point…
    It could well be. The Ubuntu Phone's initial announcement was geared towards OEMs, although at least we have a delivery month (October) for general release of the phone.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

The HTC countdown one was for a non-Ubuntu phone... Disappointing as an HTC Ubuntu Tablet would've been great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h384z7Ph0gU

5:19 "Now add a keyboard and mouse, suddenly your tablet is a full PC, running thousands of Ubuntu desktop apps and ALL WINDOWS APPS AS A THIN CLIENT"

What does that Windows part mean?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    The HTC countdown one was for a non-Ubuntu phone... Disappointing as an HTC Ubuntu Tablet would've been great.
    Personally, I'd prefer an ASUS... but, yeah, non-Ubuntu phone was a little disappointing. Still, Ubuntu would look especially nice wrapped in that aluminum unibody - especially with a pulsing, back-lit, dye-cut Ubuntu logo glowing on the backside. That would look super!

Alas...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post

5:19 "Now add a keyboard and mouse, suddenly your tablet is a full PC, running thousands of Ubuntu desktop apps and ALL WINDOWS APPS AS A THIN CLIENT"

Good video. When Shuttleworth mentioned Windows as a thin client, Excel popped up on the tablet. I imagine that Canonical has arranged to have Office running — under Wine, perhaps? Or maybe the higher-priced versions have Windows running in a VM! (Pay for a Windows license, anyone, for Ubuntu?)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post

It is a big nudge to business managers that they are not locked in to Microsoft. Nor do they have buy all new servers and applications.

Note this comment from the Canonical News Report

On high end silicon, Ubuntu offers a full PC experience when the tablet is docked to a keyboard, with access to remote Windows applications over standard protocols from Microsoft, Citrix, VMware and Wyse. "An Ubuntu tablet is a secure thin client that can be managed with the same tools as any Ubuntu server or desktop," said Stephane Verdy, who leads enterprise desktop and thin client products at Canonical. "We are delighted to support partners on touch and mobile thin clients for the enterprise market."
    and this blog from Mark Shuttleworth

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1158

So, we can put the garlic and pointed stakes away.

Keep in mind the target audience for all of these announcements - OEMs and Corporate IT department buyers. And also remember that the benefits of all this effort are already filtering down into Ubuntu desktop (13.04) and if enough of these devices do get to market and are purchased in sufficient quantities the prices might come down to something like I can afford.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 19th, 2013 at 10:12 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

with access to remote Windows applications over standard protocols from Microsoft, Citrix, VMware and Wyse.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1158
    Absolutely brilliant! Makes me smile.

Well done, Canonical!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Video was impressive -- however aren't most preview videos? It will probably take a while to get the kinks worked out. If only the Ubuntu install on my PC would run as fluid and fast as the demonstration video!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Video was impressive -- however aren't most preview videos? It will probably take a while to get the kinks worked out. If only the Ubuntu install on my PC would run as fluid and fast as the demonstration video!
    I agree, if they can pull it off like in the video--it will be impressive.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast