Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: ubuntu tablet coming today?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ubuntu tablet coming today?

When is it going to be possible to buy Ubuntu Tablet? I mean tablet running pre-installed Ubuntu Touch.

Beans

there was a news article that mentioned they are working on it but hardware manufacturers are dragging their feet with it. And the ubuntu edge should help give it a boost since it can show carriers that there is interest on ubuntu touch devices. I would say maybe a year at least since ubuntu touch is schedule for release AFAIK at the end of this year start of next year.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by annerjb View Post
    there was a news article that mentioned they are working on it but hardware manufacturers are dragging their feet with it. And the ubuntu edge should help give it a boost since it can show carriers that there is interest on ubuntu touch devices. I would say maybe a year at least since ubuntu touch is schedule for release AFAIK at the end of this year start of next year.
    Unless it of course proves the exact opposite, that there is very little interest in Ubuntu mobile devices. Right now, the Ubuntu Edge crowd funding thing is way, way behind schedule and Im guessing will fall at least 10 ~ 15 million dollars short of the $32 million goal. My guess is that we will not see any mobile devices with Ubuntu pre-installed in a long, long time, if ever.

Beans

Would like a phone if I could afford one. In any event I hope they meet their goal.
    I would love to see a more modest crowdfunding project for a $99 Ubuntu tablet. With the inexpensive whitebox tablets coming out of China such a project would be likely to both accomplish and succeed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345