Thread: Inspiron 531 screen not working/freezing

Beans

Inspiron 531 screen not working/freezing

screen.jpg

This is my screen in Ubuntu. It happens pretty much every time I log in under Unity. Sometimes I manage to log in and open the Dash, which will then immediately mess with the screen and usually freeze it. I managed to install Gnome 3 after rebooting my machine many, many times. I was able to log in successfully every time, but it still froze when opening the Dash. I then tried Lubuntu. This froze every time I logged in and was even worse than Unity. I have no idea how to fix this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Inspiron 531 screen not working/freezing

Quote Originally Posted by alex40 View Post
    screen.jpg

This is my screen in Ubuntu. It happens pretty much every time I log in under Unity. Sometimes I manage to log in and open the Dash, which will then immediately mess with the screen and usually freeze it. I managed to install Gnome 3 after rebooting my machine many, many times. I was able to log in successfully every time, but it still froze when opening the Dash. I then tried Lubuntu. This froze every time I logged in and was even worse than Unity. I have no idea how to fix this.
    This might be a bug in the default video driver. Your graphics card is an Nvidia 6000 series, isn't it? If you're using Ubuntu 13.04 you could try 12.04, or vice-versa. Otherwise you could create an Xorg.conf and then edit it so it uses a different driver, like "fbdev" or "nouveaufb" instead of "nouveau":

switch to console mode: Alt+Ctrl+F1
    kill x server: sudo service lightdm stop
    generate new xorg.conf file: sudo X -configure -- this will create xorg.conf.new file in your current dir
    rename and move: sudo mv xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Edit it: sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    (find where it says "driver" and change that to whatever you want to try)
    Exit Nano by pressing Control-X, Y and Enter.
    return to GUI: sudo start lightdm

That should give you enough of a desktop to find your way clear to installing a proprietary Nvidia driver, if there are still any available for that series of card.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.