Thread: Need Video Card for Optiplex GX260

Beans

Need Video Card for Optiplex GX260

I am completely reliant on this Dell GX260 (P4 with 2.40 GHz) and want to get a video card. It's been my friend through thick and thin and I hope never to throw it away;right now it won't get any down time so I need a card with low profile form and that is as close to plug and play as possible. I have 2 gigabytes of ram, an AOC 22" Flatscreen and am running Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, 32 bit.

I know I have a huge learning curve to climb so I could use as much info as I can but for now I really need to know what can I buy that will give me the minimum of grief. Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Need Video Card for Optiplex GX260

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

An alternative to getting a new graphics card (unless it's broken) is to get a flavour of Ubuntu 12.04, that runs well enough with your present card.

I suggest that you try Lubuntu with the ultra light-weight desktop environment LXDE. I use it myself on aging computers, pentium m, p4, amd athlon and intel xeon. It really makes the graphics perform better (but of course, you won't get the eye-candy of Unity with compiz).

- Download the Lubuntu iso file, make a CD or USB install drive and test it live before decide if you want it

- or install lubuntu-desktop into your present installed Ubuntu system

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    and select desktop environment at the log in screen.

An intermediate alternative is Xubuntu with the light-weight desktop environment XFCE or
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

Beans

Hmmm... you would need a low profile AGP card I suspect?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Yes I mentioned a low profile in the original post.

Dell suggests a Radeon X1300 DMS59 PCI Graphics card but I don't know if it will work at all without drivers. I'm not a gamer nor am I looking for 3D graphics I just want this machine to be as fast as possible respective to its age. I'll probably take Sudodus' advice and change my operating system. In less than 2 months I've grown to love Linux and don't want to go back to MS hell, i just need this machine to go a little bit faster (I've already maxed out the RAM).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Multimedia & Video.