Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toolbar an launcher are no where to be seen.

Beans

Re: Toolbar an launcher are no where to be seen.

Thank you for your replies. Sadly,I can't try it out now as I am on holiday in France and I don't have my computer here with me. But I just want to thank every one, especially Bashing-om and began.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

dlejeune;

Enjoy your holiday. We can pick this back up at your leisure. We will be here.

Beans

Red face Re: Toolbar an launcher are no where to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, dlejeune,

The command you want is just: /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p # without the: "<-unity 3d test".

Please Post, as well:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    This will show both what video card you have and the drivers used and available.

When in the blank desktop Screen in 12 .10, Right Click and select 'Change Desktop Background', then the 'All Settings' Tab, then the System> Software Sources Icon, and then the Additional Drivers Tab.

Choose which video driver to install and Activate it. Reboot and report how it goes.

Chao!, bogan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    Apologize for that ...copy/paste -> haste makes waste ! Thanks bogan (again).....

continue on !
    Hi Bogan and Bashing-om,

I have put in
    Code:
     /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p #
    and I got this back:
    Code:
    X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 153 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (W_GLXCreateContext)
    Serial number of failed request: 32
    Current serial number in output stream: 33
    I copied this down by hand but I don't think (and I hope) that there aren't any errors. I also do not have the slightest idea to what this means.

When I typed in this:

Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    I got this back:

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface [8086:2570] (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface [8086:2570]
    Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2572] (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Desktop Board D865GLC [8086:4c43] Kernel driver in use: i915 Kernel modules: intelfb, i915
    Once again I don't really understand much. Also, I can't right click and go to the settings. Actually, now the only thing I can do is open the calculator (Because my keyboard has a button for that) and open the terminal.

Once again thanks so much,
    Dlejeune.

Beans
    Distro

dlejeune; Welcome back, Good holiday ?

Regret my error causing such problems, the correct command to see if your card supports unity is:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Still need to know that the card and driver support unity.
    In answer to your quiry about the "lspci" command, tells us about the card and what driver is in use.
    see:
    Code:
    man lspci
    for a full description(q to quit the display).
    At this time I also want to see that the driver is actually loaded, terminal command:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C display
    Terninal command
    Code:
    man lshw
    for details.

I am under the impression that the i915 driver is fully compatible in the later versions and should have no problems.
    So, the source of the problem is to be determined.

try'n to help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    dlejeune; Welcome back, Good holiday ?

Regret my error causing such problems, the correct command to see if your card supports unity is:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Still need to know that the card and driver support unity.
    In answer to your quiry about the "lspci" command, tells us about the card and what driver is in use.
    see:
    Code:
    man lspci
    for a full description(q to quit the display).
    At this time I also want to see that the driver is actually loaded, terminal command:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C display
    Terninal command
    Code:
    man lshw
    for details.

I am under the impression that the i915 driver is fully compatible in the later versions and should have no problems.
    So, the source of the problem is to be determined.

try'n to help
    Hi bashing-om,

Thanks, my holiday was fantastic (skiing in the Alpes). But back to machines. I typed in

Code:
    sudo lshw -C display
    and it said

Code:
    [sudo]password for owner:
    I put it in and then it gave me this (get ready, it's long):

Code:
    *-display
    description: VGA compatible controller product: 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller vendor: Intel Corporation physical id: 2 bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0 version: 02 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom configuration: driver=i915 latency=0 resources: irq:16 memory:f0000000-f7ffffff memory:ffa80000-ffafffff ioport:ec00(size=8)

That's all that was written. I don't want to sound suspicious, but can you please do a recap (quite simply please) of everything you have asked me to do and what we are trying to find? That would help me a lot (but once again, please do it in a simple way). Thanks a ton!!

For the 1 000 000 000 th time:
    Thank you.

Dlejeune

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's a known bug with the older intel video cards.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1071530

Looks like a work around here
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/263550/opengl-with-intel-82865g-integrated-graphics

Or download 12.04.2 that should work as it using the older Mesa.
    Last edited by AlecJ; March 11th, 2013 at 10:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro

dlejeune;
    Those commands were only to identify the chipset and graphics driver, and see if the driver is loaded.
    Identified; AlecJ has isolated the problem and pointed you to a solution.
    As I stated earlier, the i915 driver is good on later kernel/hardware, there exist work-a-rounds to maybe get it to work on older hardware/newer kernel.
    Do you want to play around with your options ? AlecJ's link will get you up on a usable desktop.
    ain't ubuntu wonderful

Beans

Hi AlecJ and Bashing-om,
    Thanks for your awnsers. Yes, I think that I will ty out the option that AlecJ gave to me and I will notify you I it has worked!

And, yes, Ubuntu IS wonderful!

Dlejeune

Beans

Hello everyone, I am sorry it has taken so long to reply. I have come to the conclusion, after a lot of scratching around, that I have two choices at hand:
    1. I have to buy a VGA card (or graphics card) because the machine's one is not good enough.
    2. I can, like AlecJ said, download Ubuntu 12.04.02. The only problem is that how to I do that since I only have terminal commands?

Thanks so much for all you help. Could someone please tell me how to do option 2)?

Thanks once again,
    Dlejeune

Beans
    Distro

dlejeune; I continue to monitor.

Opting for "12.04.2" I like because it is a 5 year Long Term Support.
    To install on your box:
    Download the .iso file;
    Burn the .iso file as an "image" to a cd disk;
    Back up any data from your current install that you desire to keep;
    Change in bios the boot preference to boot from the desired device;
    Boot up the install CD;
    FIRST thing in the installCD boot is to run ubuntu in the "try ubuntu" mode, making sure that all runs good at this time -> then
    Choose "install ubuntu" -> Follow the prompts in the install wizard is the simplest install method -wiping the drive and installing only 12.04.2 //

All this is easier done from a GUI // No GUI ??// How are you presently getting onto the forum -> what tools must we develop to make the above happen(??) is what I am asking //

Might be possible to start the Xserver (present install) and it will function to the point that FireFox and Brasero will be useabe ? - Do not know, never tried it in a situation like this. But it is worth exploring due to ease of use in the GUI.

we can do this

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast