You might have seen xcruiser, you might not have... It's not really a game, but it is fun, and is in my usr/games directory, and originally I thought the Gaming section of the forums seemed best to post this in. However, I just bloody noticed this programming talk section... It kind of fits in both categories, but I think this one best. If the mods would care to delete the copy of this thread that's still in Gaming, feel free.

Anyhow, what xcruiser is: A fun little application that turns your filesystem into a universe, with galaxies as folders, and planets as files. You can fly around it and see it as if you were in a little spacecraft (graphics are poor, but it's only a little for-fun thing at the moment).

I reeeally enjoy this way of browsing my files system and was wondering if there was an actual filebrowser like it.. Because although you can see the files etc, you don't seem able to open them through it. I should like to have something like that, mostly because it's fun, and will make my endless filebrowsing (I design php-powered websites, so lots of skipping from file to file x.X) more enjoyable.

So here's my idea/request: Can anyone either point me towards something like this, develop something like this for me (perhaps with better graphics?), or tell me how to develop something like this?

PS: I have a feeling it would appeal to people with visual/kinesthetic children, too. I'd love to do it myself, but as they say, I'm a 'jane-of-all-trades, mistress of none'. That don't mean I'm giving up already, you understand, it just means I'm likely to need a little help now and then.

PPS: I have a fun idea to do with this, but it would take proper programmers to produce, I expect. If you wanna hear my idea (because I have a lot of free time, and might end up attempting it.) please PM me.