Thread: New desktop should what should I buy ?

Beans

New desktop should what should I buy ?

I want to build a new low budget pc for Ubuntu however I dont know what to get :

Motherboard with integrated CPU + external GPU (NVIDIA GeForce 210) or
    CPU+Motherboard+GPU separated.
    When it comes to price integrated CPU look interesting and this one looks even more interesting : http://www.alza.cz/EN/asrock-ad2550b-itx-d351058.htm Its an itegrated card with built in CPU and GPU.

I want the deskto;p for general usage - internet, office, music and videos. I will have a 24inch screen for this so I m wondering if it can handle high res videos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New desktop should what should I buy ?

The motherboard you are mentioning has an Intel Atom processor, which is in the netbook class of processors. While it suffices basic computing needs it may not be sufficient for higher demand. However, it really depends on your needs.

Beans

As I said I want go on my facebook, listen to some music, watch youtube vids and online movies thats all I do. I want it to run smooth it will be connected to a 23-24inch high res LED.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I think you should spend a little more money and get something that's not integrated, because it gives you a little bit of room for future upgrades in case if, at some point the specs are not enough for doing what you need to do on your computer while running the latest version of OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I bought Dell Optiplex 390 last month and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is working like a charm.
    Cominus et eminus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maybe you can take a look at https://www.system76.com/

Beans
    Hidden!

Tough man.

Depends on budget really. But I can compare both (AMD)

I've got the AMD athlon x4 965BE that hits fairly hard. I've had it for a few years now and I've no plans to change it. You could combine something like this with a cheap micro atx am3+ board with a small case and a lowish power supply.

I've got an e350 board that I combined with a case with integrated 90 watt power supply.

Numbers, boring numbers - what's it all mean.

The AMD 965BE

• I use for editing good mountain bike footage and converting music and work.
    • It can be clocked up to 3.8GHZ with a 2 second bios multiplier change. but then it will munch electricity or you can run it super cool @ 20 degrees on 2.0GHZ or leave it alone at 3.4GHZ (then spend less on a locked version)
    • With this chip you have to buy an aftermarket processor cooler as the stock one makes a hell of a racket and only just holds the CPU within its 60 degree bounds so that's extra expense.
    • You also need a separate graphics card unless you buy a board with one onboard (not integrated). I threw the cheapest unit I could find in my build
    • Put the fastest DDR3 RAM the board will take. Read the desc, it tells you on the board.

The E350 - Blatant rip from my review in sept 2011

• Fan is quiet and there are 4 sata connections.
    • Full screen flash (such as youtube) is smooth and clear in windows in SD and HD and the dual core cpu is fairly fast and responsive even though it's only clocked at 1.6ghz. I'd recommend turning cool and quiet off to keep it at it's full clock speed to gain maxim potential.
    • Windows requires the drivers to be installed for network so have your cd drive spare or copy them to a flash drive.
    • OS boot times are fairly fast (hard drive/ssd dependant), no long bios boot time that you sometimes get with a PC motherboard.
    • Flash does not play nice in Linux Ubuntu (unity). Choppy and highly cpu intensive in SD and HD is even worse! But everything works 'out of the box'. Poor flash is due to the graphics driver for the Radeon HD 6310 that needs a little fixing for it to play nice with this setup. Good job I have windows then.
    • EFI bios is simple and easy to understand, but ram is limited to single channel ddr3 1333
    • PCIE slot is only 4x
    • No CPU overclocking options.
    • If you are looking to build a small, low powered computer then you can't go far wrong with the asrock e350m1.
    • Happily runs with a 90 watt PSU
    • Combine the Asrock E350M1 E350 Mini-ITX Motherboard with the Antec ISK-100 Micro-ATX Case 90W PSU & a TP-Link TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter for a system so small you might almost forget you have it on the desk.

I've still got to check it again in Kubuntu to see if things have changed as drivers seem better now as in Jan I switched the 965BE back to Kubuntu 64bit and everything works great and I'd hope the same for the integrated graphics and other AMD graphics.

AMD or Intel. At the time I brought my integrated e350 the AMD selection was better and faster rendering HD video (in windows) without problem. Budget dependant. I hear great things about the 6 core phenom (that I wish I'd brought).

Need to clean my stupid cooler. Good luck

Beans

Moving to HTPC forums anyway thx for answers.