Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practice for my eventual Raspberry Pi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Practice for my eventual Raspberry Pi

-------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kiyop View Post
    I could install debian squeeze onto 8GB USB flash by similar installation method as that to a partition on a HDD, and I have updated. So the debian installed onto the USB flash is up-to-date.
    As for the BIOS which cannot enable boot from USB flash, you can use Super Grub2 disk, and so on. My tool may help you.
    To refuse bloat softwares, uncheck all at tasksel (package selection) during installation step of debian.
    So, are you suggesting that once I install to the flash drive, my machine will not know to boot from it (just like I can't live boot from usb) unless I use Super Grub2 disk? I looked at the 'tool' you provided, but it is a little unclear for me what/how to use it.

AND, these are just questions for now regarding my Compaq (the one w/o HDD). Currently, I am working with installing Ubuntu Minimal to my Lenovo (old old desktop) and HPdv6000, so that is my primary focus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by motocollage View Post
    So, are you suggesting that once I install to the flash drive, my machine will not know to boot from it (just like I can't live boot from usb) unless I use Super Grub2 disk?
    Unless you use some kernel loaders on some bootable media such as CD/DVD, instead of USB.
    You mentioned that your PC cannot boot from USB media, although I am not sure whether your PC can boot from USB media.
    Such kernel loaders include Super Grub2 disk, Rescatux, RIP Linux, kexec-loader and my tool. You should write these kernel loaders onto CD/DVD. You can also use PLoP boot manager to chainload to USB media on PC the BIOS of which does not support boot from USB.

I looked at the 'tool' you provided, but it is a little unclear for me what/how to use it.
    First, you must boot with some debian (squeeze, version 6), either live debian http://live.debian.net/ or installed debian.
    Then, follow http://kiyoandkei.blog68.fc2.com/blo...tml#generation

AND, these are just questions for now regarding my Compaq (the one w/o HDD). Currently, I am working with installing Ubuntu Minimal to my Lenovo (old old desktop) and HPdv6000, so that is my primary focus.
    I see.
    Last edited by kiyop; March 2nd, 2013 at 07:10 AM.
    OpenBox: Debian Wheezy, Sid, Snowlinux, Aptosid, Siduction, Crunchbang, Ubuntu, Mint, ZorinOS, OS4, Arch, Manjaro, Mageia, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Slackware, Win XP/7
    http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12