Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuttering after Ubuntu install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Stuttering after Ubuntu install

Hi,

So I'm experiencing some stuttering like every 7 minutes. Gnome-system-monitor shows that CPU core 1 goes to 100% capacity while CPU core 2 stays put when stuttering happens. Is this just a sign I should soon think about a new laptop or might it be a faulty installation of my OS?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Stuttering after Ubuntu install

I think you should check a few things before giving up your computer.

You can start by checking with
    Code:
    which program is keeping your computer busy at those instances.

It could be a problem with too much swappiness. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

The default setting in Ubuntu is swappiness=60. Reducing the default value of swappiness will probably improve overall performance for a typical Ubuntu desktop installation. A value of swappiness=10 is recommended, but feel free to experiment. Note: Ubuntu server installations have different performance requirements to desktop systems, and the default value of 60 is likely more suitable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Allright.. So my swappiness is 10 which is ok but it seems that Xorg takes about 50% CPU when that stutter occurs... Have any idea how to troubleshoot further from there?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Zirts View Post
    Allright.. So my swappiness is 10 which is ok but it seems that Xorg takes about 50% CPU when that stutter occurs... Have any idea how to troubleshoot further from there?
    Yes, swappiness 10 should be OK

I guess it means 100% of one core. Can you see if swapping occurs or if there is some other writing to or from the disk?
    top should show if 'swap used' increases. To get more info about read/write, you can install iotop and run
    Code:
    sudo iotop -o
    - What are the computer specs: cpu, ram, graphics chip/card?
    - What graphics driver are you running?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Computer specs:
    AMD Athlon(tm) II P340 Dual-Core Processor × 2 rated at 2.20 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    Mobility Radeon HD 5650

I'm using the latest AMD non-beta propietary drivers (13.1)

And the iotop -o has the information coming and going from the screen so fast that I fail to see what happened really as I have to first see when stuttering occurs, then see that it is xorg causing it and then see on the other window what happened in iotop Is there a way to log it to txt file maybe?

Beans
    Hidden!

You can change the delay with the -d option

Code:
    iotop -od 5
    means refreshing every 5 seconds instead of every second. See
    Code:
    man iotop
    for more details

Beans
    Hidden!

How is your graphics with the built-in driver (instead of the proprietary one)? I guess you have tried that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Allright. I did not see anything in iotop when Xorg went up in the CPU column of top. But then again iotop was using 100% of my CPU so maybe it was just a minor increase from xorg not the real stutter. Was a bit hard to see heh.

I installed this OS about 1.5 month ago, and installed the propietary driver right after that. As I remember the 3D performance was pretty bad for my card with the Gallium driver so I just downloaded the proprietary one.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

As mentioned above, please try top. Best is to keep it running for some time while doing normal work.

Which application is high in %CPU?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Zirts View Post
    Allright. I did not see anything in iotop when Xorg went up in the CPU column of top. But then again iotop was using 100% of my CPU so maybe it was just a minor increase from xorg not the real stutter. Was a bit hard to see heh.

I installed this OS about 1.5 month ago, and installed the propietary driver right after that. As I remember the 3D performance was pretty bad for my card with the Gallium driver so I just downloaded the proprietary one.
    I am very surprised that iotop should use 100% of your cpu. What happens when you shut it off again? (I guess you use two terminal windows, one with top and one with iotop.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast