Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to un-lag Ubuntu

Beans

trying to un-lag Ubuntu

Help!
    Installed Ubuntu via Wubi Installer to my WinXP Device with 5 gigs given. However, Ubuntu lags. I can still boot XP and it doesn't lag but ubuntu takes ages to click a button. If i remove files on XP, will that speed ubuntu up? Can i re-install with another size? HELP!

Beans

Re: Computer N00b here, trying to un-lag Ubuntu

Welcome to the forums!

It's meaningless to discuss performance without mentioning hardware. Tell us about your: CPU, RAM, video card, hard drive, etc.

If your computer is from the XP era then it's probably too weak for the full Unity desktop; you might want to try a lightweight desktop such as Xfce or LXDE as described here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xfce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wubi is not good from a speed, flexibility and stability perspective. Try removing it and installing Ubuntu by booting from the Ubuntu CD.

Also, what graphics card do you have? If it is ATI or Nvidia there may be a driver you can install and get snappier performance.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

The thing is, it can't be that bad of a PC. It runs minecraft at 40fps smoothly, so a OS should not be a problem. I'll try that now, however.

EDIT:

Just booted into Ubuntu and am met with a purple screen and nothing else. It's been there for 2 mins now.

Rebooted into recovery mode with black screen. Shall reboot again.

3rd Edit:

Booted with success. Shall install XFCE.
    Last edited by Sarger001; February 17th, 2013 at 01:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sarger001 View Post
    The thing is, it can't be that bad of a PC. It runs minecraft at 40fps smoothly, so a OS should not be a problem. I'll try that now, however.

EDIT:
    Just booted into Ubuntu and am met with a purple screen and nothing else. It's been there for 2 mins now.
    40 fps is low for a game like minecraft unless if you set that as max fps.
    What CPU (processor/core) do you have? (any info like number of cores or hz is sufficient)
    Amount of RAM?
    Is your harddisk greatly fragmented? (when did you defragment on xp?)
    What GPU do you have? (how old is your graphic card?)

Did you do ANYTHING at all (installing software or anything) in ubuntu after installing it?

Beans

ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series. Updated to latest driver.
    I think i have about 500mb of ram. Not much, but it suits me.
    And no, i did nothing in ubuntu other than surf the web (Which is very fast, actually)

Beans

Choice of window manager plays an important role in speed. If you're willing to try a tiling window manager, awesomewm is lightweight and improves productivity.

(I wish I could recommend something without it sounding like an ad, but I hope this helps)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think you should keep XFCE with 512MB in RAM. The Unity interface is alright on that RAM amount but XFCE is going to be a bit lighter on your CPU and RAM, which looks like you need.

Btw about deleting files in XP. No that wont speed Ubuntu up. When you used Wubi it made a normal file on your XP partition and installed Ubuntu into that file pretending it is a hard disk drive. If you have been using this computer for long it could mean that file is on many different parts on your hard disk, making it slow to read. What you can do then is to degrag XP. If it is very fragmented it could take a long time.

Btw again.. are all problems away (by magic)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bölvağur View Post
    Btw again.. are all problems away (by magic)?
    Nope. It just actually booted up.

Installing the pack now. Might take a while, so i'll get some rest.

EDIT:
    Welp. I'm back, still installing. It's about halfway, i give it another hour. Despite how much lag there is, i'm starting to like this OS and it might replace my XP.
    Last edited by oldos2er; February 17th, 2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: deleted white space

Beans

When i select xubuntu or xfce it goes to a black screen and takes me back to the login screen. Any help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast