Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Files with I/O Errors preventing access to full folders?

Beans

Re: Files with I/O Errors preventing access to full folders?

Sorry for how long it's taken me to get back. The semester was really busy so I had to put off this project til the summer.

I have a new computer now, but i'm still working on recovering my files from this old one.
    I'm currently creating an image that's being copied to my 1TB external harddrive. It's been going for a few hours and only at about 55.90% -- is it normal to take so long?

Beans

So the Image Creation just finished, but it reads:

Code:
    Image created successfully but read errors have occurred.
    What exactly does this mean?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SineSpe View Post
    It's been going for a few hours and only at about 55.90% -- is it normal to take so long?
    Yes that's normal.
    That imaging process uses "dd" which does a block-by-block copying of the drive/partition, regardless of whether the block is used or empty (on a corrupt filesystem, you can't predict which blocks are/were used and which ones not). Hence the copying is slow and the size of the resultant image will be almost exactly same as the partition/drive itself (all the blocks + some overhead, descriptors etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by SineSpe View Post
    So the Image Creation just finished, but it reads:

Code:
    Image created successfully but read errors have occurred.
    What exactly does this mean?
    It means there were bad blocks found during the copy process. That is normal while copying a corrupt or crashed partition or drive. The resulting image can still be mounted as a drive and will be read as the source drive/partition itself. The scanning program will either try to recover, or ignore the error blocks just as it would have done on the source physical drive.

Let me know if you are still on it and need help.
    I've totally lost the context, so you may have to refresh it for me again, plus, details of new developments of course if there are any.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12