Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is the ssh connection via nautilus has gone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Where is the ssh connection via nautilus has gone?

Hi friends.

how to connect to ssh server with 13.04 via nautilus?

please see image.

thank you for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Where is the ssh connection via nautilus has gone?

Code:
    protocol://hostname:port
    should work. You need to specify port only if it is not default one.

I just tried it with SSH and works flawlessly.

Beans

You have got to be kidding me. Gnome has changed "Connect to Server"? Because the old way was too intuitive?

The unrelenting desire to reduce function by Gnome is making Gnome irrelevant. They didn't take it away in Xubuntu 13.04 did they?

Beans

Just out of curiosity and only if you have the time does Gigolo exhibit the same lack of options? When you run gigolo and use the Actions > Connect you should get the attached dialog box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Works fine here, too...

I need to connect to remote (web) servers often.

There are a couple of ways of doing it:
    • Connect to Server
    • Enter Location

I prefer "Enter Location", e.g. via command line.

To make life easier, once you successfully mount the server:
    • Right-click the server name
    • Add Bookmark

That way, in the future, it becomes a single-click (bookmark) & auth (enter credentials) affair...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. Gnome has changed "Connect to Server"? Because the old way was too intuitive?
    Depends on how you look at it...

I didn't care for Gnome's "less_is_more" paradigmatic shift, at first blush.

I actually quit using Nautilus, for several months, because of all of the functionality they stripped out of it, but finally reneged. After all, we're supposed to be testing this stuff, warts and all.

Now that I'm starting to get used to the changes, I find them more palatable.

That said, Nautilus is at least usable now, and getting better every day.

Stay tuned...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I just enter the url manually, in the location bar, the first time, then bookmark the connection in Nautilus, then use the bookmark from then on.

The process I use the first time is:

1. Open Nautilus
    2. Press Ctrl-t to open a second tab
    3. Press Ctrl-l to open the location bar
    4. type sftp://servername
    5. do what i have to.
    6. Profit

Beans

Yes the new dialog does look like it's made for more experienced users except added Browse button if i understand correctly what it's for does simplify network shares discovery if less experienced user finds this dialog in Nautilus/Files. But for "command line" example at least it should be added how you define port number in the example or better yet as it was suggested use protocol://hostname: port as more general example.

But basically new dialog is just one more "command line" GUI tool? Good or bad i don't know but i guess if you want to make nice and simple GUI tool to connect to variety of server (protocols) and you end up with just another "command line" embedded in GUI dialog it kinda beats the purpose indeed!
    Last edited by EgoGratis; February 17th, 2013 at 12:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I agree, that now it is for "more experienced users", and previous version was "just more GUI" with a ton of boxes and lists,

but look at that this way:
    I really doubt, that some person, which is able to use ftp/ssh/sftp/whatever, never saw or is not able to "learn" basic URL format, and then it is nicely in one place . With provided example is not that hard to guess. And once it is saved...

Beans

I agree, that now it is for "more experienced users", and previous version was "just more GUI" with a ton of boxes and lists,
    I don't know if i agree it had a ton of boxes and lists. What it had was at least list of protocols it supports. The new tool doesn't indicate what protocols are supported.

It had port box and new tool doesn't try to show how the port should be set. It just expects you are experienced in "command line".

I really doubt, that some person, which is able to use ftp/ssh/sftp/whatever, never saw or is not able to "learn" basic URL format, and then it is nicely in one place . With provided example is not that hard to guess. And once it is saved...
    Yes once you learn something then it isn't a problem anymore. But for example few random users were confronted with Unity and didn't understand "Dodge Windows" behavior and it was removed. Let's say this was true for the sake of argument and now imagine the same users are confronted with this dialog and they have to use one of the supported protocols to connect to the server. I imagine this would be mission impossible and old dialog at least gave the possibility to click on those 3 boxes multiple times and make it work somehow.

Now you have to know exactly what you are doing with no feedback and if you don't manage to do exactly what it want you to do in command line then it won't work and the odds to guess what it wants from you are basically null.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast