Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is the ssh connection via nautilus has gone?

Beans

Re: Where is the ssh connection via nautilus has gone?

But hay i am not complaining i am just expressing my opinion and in this particular case i don't see the point in having such tool because it only opens up another dialog with embedded "command line" and this is something "ctrl+l" already does.

Ditch it then completely if those 2 boxes are too much. I would because in current state it's bloated (just another command line more in Files to use) or maybe better term would be same feature implemented two times and that is confusing and redundant.

Beans

I think I understand the the nature of the problem. The attachment is a screenshot of "Connect to Server" in OSX. Someone must have sent the Gnome developer a memo with a similar screeshot that said: "make this happen".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Yes this is silly and there in no better word for it sorry. Anyway we have "CTRL+l" that gets the job done and at least GNOME be consistent and remove this new useless dialogue because it's "CTRL+l" duplicate and therefore bloat at least by GNOME standards.

Experienced users in this topic expressed they don't use the tool anyway and for less experienced users is useless too and i don't see the reason why "CTRL+l" couldn't be used instead and why have two GUI command lines instead of one.

Beans

And yes it looks like somebody bought Apple computer and just can't get enough of it but i don't know what exactly should that have to do with GNOME. But for the GnomeShell no there we must not directly copy Apple.

It would be insane to give the users standard desktop experience.

Beans

Don't get me wrong, if you are going to copy the UX of another operating system better it be OSX than something like this: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/screenshot.html

Beans

I personally don't mind if this is direct copy from Apple UX but the mindset lately sucks. It happened with Nautilus too for example (direct Apple UX copy and because of that some features had to go and more...) just to look like Apple UX? And what will happen when Apple changes it's UX GNOME becomes depreciated and old Apple UX project?

In this latest addition small and efficient GUI tool to connect to servers was striped down to GUI command line input duplicating "CTRL+l" capabilities. I would not be surprised if Apple upgrades it's tool and adds one drop down list of supported protocols just to mock GNOME.

And again i am not complaining because i am use to this and it would not help to complain anyway it's just amateurish and silly in the end.

And yes if GNOME has become Apple wannabee then i guess i do have a problem with this because then i would rather use the real thing. And again there is nothing fundamentally wrong if GNOME does copy UX from Apple where it does make sense but striping down small and efficient GUI tool suitable for experienced and novice users to bare GUI command line tool JUST TO LOOK LIKE Apple is...
    Last edited by EgoGratis; February 17th, 2013 at 08:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ok, in my previous answer I really thought there must be reason for such a change and I took it as "Ok, if it has to be this way, I could live with that, it is not that bad". But if this is true - because of Apple's UI, this is so silly that it cannot be described politely.

I just cannot understand people blindly approaching everything about Apple, for no good reason (and no, I have nothing against "normal Apple users" and also see some advantages of their devices/UI).

I could understand this change, as a copy of Apple's layout, if their UI was better. But this is not that case. More stupid reason is only "we needed to remove 100 lines of code because Raring still cannot fit on regular CD".
    Last edited by Budovi; February 18th, 2013 at 01:47 AM.

Beans

I could understand this change, as a copy of Apple's layout, if their UI was better. But this is not that case. More stupid reason is only "we needed to remove 100 lines of code because Raring still cannot fit on regular CD".
    Although I agree generally with the rest of your post let us not forget that the culprit here is not Ubuntu but Gnome.

Look, Nautilus used to show up as "File Manager" but the Gnome developers reasoned that they really didn't want it to "Manage" anything so it was changed to "Files". Soon more function will be removed and it will be listed as "F" and eventually just dropped altogether.

The ironic thing about copying OSX's "Connect to Server" utility is that it is a very uncharacteristic thing for Apple to do. I don't mean this as derogatory as it will sound but Apple really doesn't want their users to think. They abhor presenting their users with error messages if they or it does something silly. Most of them don't even know that they have a Terminal emulator installed. Yet they are expected to know the syntax when connecting to a samba or ssh server? It's a curious thing.
    Last edited by Morbius1; February 18th, 2013 at 02:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unhappy Re: Where is the ssh connection via nautilus has gone?

Wait, this means that right-click folder context menu was reduced because of Nautilus is no more "File Manager"? I want to manage my files! Sure it is manager, and "Files" is just stupid name for "file explorer / manager".... Open files... Sounds really stupid and it obviously means something else.

This is so bad change, I really hate it already, why would they do that?!

New trends == removing features?? Ouch...

Beans

Yes i remember when this trend started and GUI tool for creating launchers had to go but launchers stayed and didn't go anywhere.

But don't feel bad about it you will get use to it. Looks like this is a phase (removing stuff) and we can't do much about it ATM and once this trend to remove everything because "i decided nobody uses it anyway" and "Apple Phase" is over then i guess the situation will calm down. There are some nice features/improvements coming out of GNOME camp and that is why i am still modestly optimistic about the GNOME future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast