Thread: Help playing a .xspf file from my Windows partition

Hybrid View

Beans

Help playing a .xspf file from my Windows partition

Hey Ubuntu Forums,

I have Ubuntu 12.10 and Windows 7 installed on my hard drive on separate partitions. I also have Ubuntu automatically mount the Windows partition on startup, using "NTFS Configuration Tool". Whenever I attempt to open a .xspf from my Windows partition (using VLC), I get errors like so in VLC
    Code:
    File reading failed:
    VLC could not open the file "/C:/Users/Tobias/Music/01 Harlem Shake.mp3". (No such file or directory)
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///C:/Users/Tobias/Music/01%20Harlem%20Shake.mp3'. Check the log for details.
    I understand that the .xspf is literally just a list of song locations and that Ubuntu doesn't read "C:/Users..." My question is would it be possible to use this .xspf on both Windows 7 and Ubuntu, either making Ubuntu just read the "C:" as "/media/Windows_7" or would a different file type of playlist work for this problem? I would like to keep the playlist on my Windows partition so I can access and change it from both Ubuntu and Windows 7 without having to copy and paste it whenever I change something.

Thanks much, ask if you need any more information

412toby

Beans

Re: Help playing a .xspf file from my Windows partition

You can create a link :
    sudo ln -s /media/Windows_7 /C:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guyr34 View Post
    You can create a link :
    sudo ln -s /media/Windows_7 /C:
    This worked!

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by 412toby View Post
    ... I would like to keep the playlist on my Windows partition so I can access and change it from both Ubuntu and Windows 7 without having to copy and paste it whenever I change something...
    Hi
    This is tricky.

When you create or edit an xspf playlist using Windows it records the file locations on the playlist like this:-
    <location>file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/The_McCoys-Hang_On_Sloopy.m4a</location>
    Same as in your error message
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///C:/Users/Tobias/Music/01%20Harlem%20Shake.mp3'
    But if you create or edit an xspf playlist using Ubuntu it records the file locations on the playlist like this:-
    <location>file:///media/690DC2637F6B1E28/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/The_McCoys-Hang_On_Sloopy.m4a</location>
    Maybe it's not possible to use the same xspf playlist for both systems.