Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Way to refund cost of Windows License for new comp purchase?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Way to refund cost of Windows License for new comp purchase?

There's a handful of people who have done it, and most of the people have spent months on the phone yelling and arguing with managers.

It's more trouble than it's worth.
    That's what she said.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    There's a handful of people who have done it, and most of the people have spent months on the phone yelling and arguing with managers.

It's more trouble than it's worth.
    That and, I found out that Acer requires that I ship my laptop for the technicians to remove it and that's not only more trouble but even introduces risks such as me paying for shipping and potentially not getting the refund or having the laptop damaged on the way to or from Acer.

I don't buy computers from Linux vendors because I get much better prices from regular vendors that preload Windows ... can't they put a bunch of bloatware into a Linux installation to cover costs? At least that way, we wouldn't support Microsoft in making horrible software. Personally, I don't care about bloatware since I always install a fresh copy of Linux no matter what anyways (and maybe a general script could even be made to automatically remove all the bloatware for those who want a less difficult way of not dealing with it than installing the OS themselves).
    Apps for Ubuntu (outdated) ---> http://cid-23a283fc1010a1bb.skydrive...%20Wine|6?uc=1
    Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Cool Re: Way to refund cost of Windows License for new comp purchase?

Note:
    ¨¨¨¨¨I don't buy computers from Linux vendors because I get much better prices from regular vendors that preload Windows ¨¨¨¨..
    Hmm, probably true, but----
    ..... as stated earlier. I did buy my ASUS Zenbook with Windows, here in Mexico. Not worth the trouble to chase down the few dollars.

As far as regular desktop systems it is far easier and cheaper to go to any half-decent computer repair shop and have one built. No O-S !

Better components, way more value for money. The last one I had built was not only cheaper and better, but, I installed Ubuntu and was on the Internet in 12 minutes.
    With my Zenbook, which now fires up and is on the ´net in 12 seconds, with Oooo bunn 2 ! Took me about half hour to get rid of Windows.
    agg
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have done it twice. With Comet and Currys/PC World. Your contract with the purchase of the machine is with the vendor. Decline the Microsoft EULA and then phone the company you bought it from and explain that you have declined the Microsoft EULA as you don't agree with it's terms and not at any point during the sale process were you informed that you would be bound by these terms. Then simply ask for a refund.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by glln0v View Post
    Dell won't sell me a laptop computer that doesn't have Windows on it. I have to have Ethernet so ultrabook won't do.

Anybody know if there's anyway to get a refund for the Windows License cost AFTER I take possession of the order? Since I will be using Ubuntu, I prefer not to pay for Windows. None of the Company's that preload Ubuntu have a system with the specs and price I want. But Dell does.

The thing that really irritates me is how you HAVE to pay for Windows. What about consumers who have purchased a Retail Windows License? They plan to install their retail license onto a new computer--yet they will have to pay for a Windows license (even though they won't use it) with the purchase of the new computer. This is so wrong! It should be illegal.
    Most Windows installations are offset by advertising in the form of bloatware that is pre-installed on your computer. So you're not really paying anything for it.

However...

When I bought my ThinkPad, I asked a Lenovo sales rep if I could get it without Windows, or with a Linux distribution instead. They said that isn't possible, but they gave me a significant discount (more than $100) and Windows still came with the machine anyway...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123