Thread: Can I use a cheap cable or do I have to buy expensive gear

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Can I use a cheap cable or do I have to buy expensive gear

I know very little about networking so I'll try to explain what I want to do in basic terms. Picture this:
    I have an internet router plugged in my front room
    I have a 10m ethernet cable I spent a lot of effort some years ago putting through the walls myself leading to my lounge
    In the lounge I currently have a raspberry pi attached to this 10 ethernet cable
    I have a xbmc media server next to the raspberry pi that I also want to network into my home lan

Now laying another 10m cable is not practical as it involved lots of effort, 20 inch long drill bits and me breaking a sweat (which I loathe to do)

My question is can I use a cheap ethernet splitter (single male to double female) and two short ethernet cables to do this or am I going to need a special hub or switch. Failing this can I use another cheap easily available adapter to get this to work without expensive extras

My linux knowledge is fine but please remember my experience with networking is minimal.

Ps, I've attached a pic of what I mean, I don't know if this will work, and sorry, wifi is not an option here, as they are both super low power units that do not carry enough current to power a wifi adapter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Can I use a cheap cable or do I have to buy expensive gear

Years ago I had (still have somewhere) a 4 port hub. That is a splitter. Back then switches were expensive.
    But now switches hardly cost more than hubs, so I would suggest a switch (unmanaged). Managed offer many more business type features but are more expensive.

I am not sure what is good. Quick Google search found this netgear.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122005

others when looking for hub gave switches?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...hub&Submit=ENE
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

An inexpensive switch would be best. Will work much better than a hub.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You wouldn't have access to an old router, would you? If so, you can disable routing, firewall and wireless if installed and use it as a switch. I did this with a second router but am using it as a wireless access point as well. Most have 4 ethernet ports.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I do have an old router laying around, I'll look into that option thanks
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMark View Post
    I do have an old router laying around, I'll look into that option thanks
    If you go that route, you'll want to make sure the I.P. address of the secondary router is different than the primary. For instance, primary is 192.168.1.1, make your secondary 192.168.1.2, same subnet. I turned off the firewall and DHCP server functions on the secondary router. Run the cable from the primary router to one of the LAN ports, not the WAN port. It should work. If there's a version for your secondary router and you want to teach an old dog new tricks, you could look into DD-WRT or similar.
    Last edited by kurt18947; February 17th, 2013 at 02:45 PM.