Thread: Backup GUID Partition Table

Beans

Backup GUID Partition Table

I know how to backup a MBR Partition table, for my specific purpose I grab entire track0 (First 32256 bytes) Command: ddrescue -s 32256 /dev/$disk track0 I know that Track 0 includes boot record, partition table, and mysterious stuff that Windows needs to boot too.

Does anyone know how bytes to copy from the start and from what I read from the end of the drive too? (I can do a reverse dd copy for that)

Thanks

Background
    I'm updating a Data recovery Live CD I have worked on for a while, which I hope to release publicly soon. Unlike the others it has a menu driven scripts to automate the process. I want to add GUID support one of the tools.

Beans

Re: Backup GUID Partition Table

The amount of data is not fixed, since GPT enables partition table sizes to vary. (Most disks support 128 partitions, but this isn't guaranteed to be true of every disk.) Your best bet is to use my GPT fdisk (gdisk and sgdisk) to back up the data. If you're writing a script, something like this should work:

Code:
    sgdisk -b $BACKUPFILE $SOURCEDRIVE
    You can restore a backup with the -l option:

Code:
    sgdisk -l $BACKUPFILE $TARGETDRIVE
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans

Thumbs up for the great answer, I'll have to include GPT Fdisk in my Project.

Beans

Hi, will this work even with a Hybrid MBR?