Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aptitude wants to update 29 Kernel Parts? 3 gig of updates?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Aptitude wants to update 29 Kernel Parts? 3 gig of updates?

Is this sensible?

Code:
    mark@Lexington-19:~$ sudo aptitude install -f
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libftdi1 linux-headers-3.2.0-24 linux-headers-3.2.0-24-generic 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-24-generic-pae linux-headers-3.2.0-25 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-25-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-25-generic-pae 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-26 linux-headers-3.2.0-26-generic 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-26-generic-pae linux-headers-3.2.0-27 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-27-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-27-generic-pae 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-29 linux-headers-3.2.0-29-generic 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-29-generic-pae linux-headers-3.2.0-30 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-30-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-30-generic-pae 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-31 linux-headers-3.2.0-31-generic 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-31-generic-pae linux-headers-3.2.0-32 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-32-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-32-generic-pae 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-33 linux-headers-3.2.0-33-generic 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-33-generic-pae linux-headers-3.2.0-34 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-34-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-34-generic-pae 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-35 linux-headers-3.2.0-35-generic 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-35-generic-pae linux-headers-3.2.0-36 
      linux-headers-3.2.0-36-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-36-generic-pae 
      linux-image-3.2.0-25-generic linux-image-3.2.0-25-generic-pae 
      linux-image-3.2.0-26-generic linux-image-3.2.0-26-generic-pae 
      linux-image-3.2.0-27-generic linux-image-3.2.0-27-generic-pae 
      linux-image-3.2.0-29-generic linux-image-3.2.0-29-generic-pae 
      linux-image-3.2.0-30-generic linux-image-3.2.0-30-generic-pae 
      linux-image-3.2.0-31-generic linux-image-3.2.0-31-generic-pae 
      linux-image-3.2.0-32-generic linux-image-3.2.0-32-generic-pae 
      linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae 
      linux-image-3.2.0-34-generic linux-image-3.2.0-34-generic-pae 
      linux-image-3.2.0-35-generic linux-image-3.2.0-35-generic-pae 
      linux-image-3.2.0-36-generic linux-image-3.2.0-36-generic-pae lirc 
      setserial 
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      libboost-program-options1.46.1{u} 
    0 packages upgraded, 61 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 1,001 MB/1,001 MB of archives. After unpacking 3,429 MB will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] Y

I've been trying for 3 weeks to remove the old outdate kernel parts. Anybody got a clue what is the safe way to fix this?
    Last edited by CharlesA; February 14th, 2013 at 04:56 AM. Reason: code tags
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Aptitude wants to update 29 Kernel Parts? 3 gig of updates?

Grub Customizer is your friend. Else go to Software Centre and search for the kernel numbers you want gone and uninstall.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10340183

Not sure why you're using that command. All you really want is these two:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    This will only upgrade apps and anything you have installed, not the OS release to the next one. Keep running them until there is nothing left. Looks like you haven't updated in some time ...

Set it for once a week and just install updates when you are notified of them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Why are you running aptitude with -f?

-f
    Try hard to fix the dependencies of broken packages, even if it
    means ignoring the actions requested on the command line.

This corresponds to the configuration item
    Aptitude::CmdLine::Fix-Broken.
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...ptitude.8.html
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't use aptitude much, but the first thing I would consider is: how are you removing the old kernels? Are you bypassing the whole dpkg system by deleting them directly? If so, the dpkg database (of which aptitude/apt/synaptic are just high-level manipulation apps) will not have registered your intent to delete, will just note that they are missing, and will reinstall them again. My understanding is that old kernels should be deleted using aptitude/apt/synaptic. Thereafter, dpkg will be keyed to knowing that you've intended to delete them and will not bring them back in at the next update. If this is already how you are deleting them, then I'm stumped.

<edit>
    Smarter gurus have spoken whom you should listen to over me.
    </edit>
    Last edited by DuckHook; February 14th, 2013 at 03:38 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Why are you running aptitude with -f?

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...ptitude.8.html
    I had hoped to avoid bringing this into the post. My Blackberry (smart?phone) is no longer placing (registering) onto my Xubuntu desktop when plugged into it's usb cable.

lsusb says:

Bus 001 Device 029: ID 0fca:0004 Research In Motion, Ltd. Blackberry Handheld

so it's somewhere.

I see boot-time messages about something to do with blackberry, but, at boot-time, messages scroll like lighting off the screen. I used aptitude -f hoping to fix the problem. What I found is something else. That aptitude wants a gig of downloads to update out-of-date stuff is somewhat scary and I want to avoid d/l-ing a gig anyway. But if you think that 'safe' I'm OK with it.

I pasted one of the lines from the terminal into Ub's Software Center, thinking I could then delete it, but ooopppssss! There it is. Or isn't. It's not installed according to the Center.

Please see screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I don't use aptitude much, but the first thing I would consider is: how are you removing the old kernels? Are you bypassing the whole dpkg system by deleting them directly? If so, the dpkg database (of which aptitude/apt/synaptic are just high-level manipulation apps) will not have registered your intent to delete, will just note that they are missing, and will reinstall them again. My understanding is that old kernels should be deleted using aptitude/apt/synaptic. Thereafter, dpkg will be keyed to knowing that you've intended to delete them and will not bring them back in at the next update. If this is already how you are deleting them, then I'm stumped.

<edit>
    Smarter gurus have spoken whom you should listen to over me.
    </edit>
    Here is a screenshot of what aptitude thinks needs updating and Synaptic Pkg Mgr thinks is not installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood View Post
    I see boot-time messages about something to do with blackberry, but, at boot-time, messages scroll like lighting off the screen. I used aptitude -f hoping to fix the problem. What I found is something else. That aptitude wants a gig of downloads to update out-of-date stuff is somewhat scary and I want to avoid d/l-ing a gig anyway. But if you think that 'safe' I'm OK with it.

I pasted one of the lines from the terminal into Ub's Software Center, thinking I could then delete it, but ooopppssss! There it is. Or isn't. It's not installed according to the Center.

Please see screenshot.
    Huh? If you want to check what messages appear during boot, check /var/log/boot.log

As far as the kernel problem, run this and post the results please:

Code:
    dpkg -l | grep kernel
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Code:
    mark@Lexington-19:~$ dpkg -l | grep kernel
    ii  kerneloops-daemon                      0.12+git20090217-1ubuntu19                          kernel oops tracker
    ii  libdrm-intel1                          2.4.39-0ubuntu0.1                                   Userspace interface to intel-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
    ii  libdrm-nouveau1a                       2.4.39-0ubuntu0.1                                   Userspace interface to nouveau-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
    ii  libdrm-radeon1                         2.4.39-0ubuntu0.1                                   Userspace interface to radeon-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
    ii  libdrm2                                2.4.39-0ubuntu0.1                                   Userspace interface to kernel DRM services -- runtime
    ii  linux-firmware                         1.79.1                                              Firmware for Linux kernel drivers
    ii  linux-firmware-nonfree                 1.11ubuntu1                                         Non-free firmware for Linux kernel drivers
    ii  linux-generic                          3.2.0.37.45                                         Complete Generic Linux kernel
    ii  linux-headers-3.2.0-37                 3.2.0-37.58                                         Header files related to Linux kernel version 3.2.0
    ii  linux-headers-3.2.0-37-generic         3.2.0-37.58                                         Linux kernel headers for version 3.2.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
    ii  linux-headers-3.2.0-37-generic-pae     3.2.0-37.58                                         Linux kernel headers for version 3.2.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
    ii  linux-headers-generic                  3.2.0.37.45                                         Generic Linux kernel headers
    ii  linux-headers-generic-pae              3.2.0.37.45                                         Generic Linux kernel headers
    ii  linux-image-3.2.0-37-generic           3.2.0-37.58                                         Linux kernel image for version 3.2.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
    ii  linux-image-3.2.0-37-generic-pae       3.2.0-37.58                                         Linux kernel image for version 3.2.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
    ii  linux-image-generic                    3.2.0.37.45                                         Generic Linux kernel image
    ii  linux-image-generic-pae                3.2.0.37.45                                         Generic Linux kernel image
    ii  module-init-tools                      3.16-1ubuntu2                                       tools for managing Linux kernel modules
    ii  nvidia-current                         295.40-0ubuntu1.2                                   NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
    ii  rsyslog                                5.8.6-1ubuntu8                                      reliable system and kernel logging daemon
    ii  udev                                   175-0ubuntu9.2                                      rule-based device node and kernel event manager
    Last edited by CharlesA; February 14th, 2013 at 04:55 AM. Reason: code tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Normal. You haven't updated for some time. Have you upgraded from one release to another lately?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This is what happened:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2109070

It's lengthy. I could not boot. I could not Grub-Recover. I believe that the 3.2.0-37-generic-pae was eventually re-installed and the OS could boot and operate normally.

The video card had to be replaced. The on-board video was used while that card was changed. That lost the Grub Recovery screen. I didn't know that old kernels, images, pae-s, should be removed. Many other problems exerted themselves at this time. I was hoping to not bring this up, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast