Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help! Can't boot into windows

did you see this at the bottom of the Pastebin file:
    Boot successfully repaired.
    You can now reboot your computer.
    Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sda1/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi file
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

So how do i get my BIOS to do that then? it's an american megatrends BIOS if that helps. I'm really unsure of how to get this up and going.

Also, I tried letting it reboot, and it loaded up to the starting windows screen (Win7) and then it acted as though it were going to try to do a startup repair and then came back to the grub boot loader.

I'm caught in a boot loop here. It keeps coming back to the GRUB boot loader. Also, when I tried booting the disk for Windows via UEFI boot, and then went to do the repair I got an error from windows like this:

This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows.
    My guess is because I'm running 7 home premium and the disk I've got is 7 professional.

Also, when I tried to do the fixboot on a non-UEFI boot, I was able to get into the repair tools. I got into the command prompt and fixmbr worked, but fixboot did not. I got an error:

element not found
    Any and all help is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by hpkeyser View Post
    @carl and @MP. Your recommendation is that I remove the linux drive and then go ahead and boot into the repair for windows with only the windows as the active drive? Then once that has been done a couple of times, remount the linux drive and hopefully I'll be able to see a dual boot screen on the way into windows?

I'm going to see if that works. Hopefully the pastebin info might shed some light on the issue while I'm working at this. I'll get back you you guys in a bit with any results
    Correct
    With just the windows drive connected, try the repair.

But why are you not in possession of the same windows version as you have installed.? Perhaps it's time to backup the files from your windows install and do a clean install of windows 7 pro?
    You could revert it back to a standard MBR partition table too?
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Computer Software

Hello,
    As some one told you should be able to access your files there from Ubuntu.

write code : sudo update-grub

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    But why are you not in possession of the same windows version as you have installed.? Perhaps it's time to backup the files from your windows install and do a clean install of windows 7 pro?
    You could revert it back to a standard MBR partition table too?
    I'm not in possession of the same disk because it came preloaded with Home Premium and it didn't ship with that disk along with it. I've only got a Professional disk because I'm still a student and it's included in my tuition to have that. I'm not looking forward to having to draw all of my windows files into a hard drive and then reinstalling windows. If i do end up doing that, will I still be able to dual boot if the MBR recognizes linux on the secondary drive?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12