Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer won't wake up after suspend

Beans

Computer won't wake up after suspend

I'd really like to make Ubuntu my primary OS- but I'm having so many challenges with it that its proving not worth my time.

The latest problem, when Ubuntu suspends, my computer won't wake up.

Now wait, wait, wait...

Someone is going to tell me that dozens of other threads are devoted to this issue. Whilst this statement is correct, it negates a huge fact...

*there is no workable or common sense solution to the problem*

Could someone please help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Computer won't wake up after suspend

Could you provide some more information to help diagnose the problem?

1. The make and model of your computer.

2. The contents of your /var/log/pm-suspend.log file. Try this from a terminal window:
    Code:
    pastebinit /var/log/pm-suspend.log
    ...and post back the link that is generated.

3. Information about your video card. Run this in a terminal window and post back the results:
    Code:
    sudo lspci -vnn | grep -A12 VGA
    4. And finally, your current kernel command line:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I had to upgrade the BIOS on my Acer Extensa 4620Z laptop. None of the dozen suggestions that I searched for worked. So consider a BIOS upgrade.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Toz,

I am having a similar problem with my Dell Studio 1440 laptop. If I close the lid or click "Suspend" from the menu the laptop will go to sleep. The problem occurs when trying to use it again. The keyboard is active, the fan revs up, however the screen is completely dark, as if it never gets turned on. I've tried various keyboard combinations to "get the attention" of the screen to no avail. The only way out is a harsh reboot. Note that this problem isn't unique to Ubuntu, Linux or Dell. Having searched for several hours and trying various solutions, I'm at a loss. I'm including the information you requested below:

The results of pastebinit /var/log/pm-suspend.log

http://pastebin.com/5xkpucFy

The results of

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series] [1002:9553] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0414]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
    Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
    Memory at cfef0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at cfe00000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
    Kernel driver in use: radeon
    Kernel modules: radeon

Results of
    cat /proc/cmdline

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-17-generic root=UUID=b30dcf90-3dd6-42ae-badb-3a64a72036ca ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7

Any assistance would be most appreciated.
    Thx.

Beans

I have a machine where I need to include 'noapic' in boot options to get some distro's to resume from suspend. Probably very harware specific, but may be worth a shot?
    Last edited by maglinu; April 5th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Smythe311 View Post
    Toz,

I am having a similar problem with my Dell Studio 1440 laptop. If I close the lid or click "Suspend" from the menu the laptop will go to sleep. The problem occurs when trying to use it again. The keyboard is active, the fan revs up, however the screen is completely dark, as if it never gets turned on. I've tried various keyboard combinations to "get the attention" of the screen to no avail. The only way out is a harsh reboot. Note that this problem isn't unique to Ubuntu, Linux or Dell. Having searched for several hours and trying various solutions, I'm at a loss. I'm including the information you requested below:

The results of pastebinit /var/log/pm-suspend.log

http://pastebin.com/5xkpucFy
    Whats interesting is that I don't see a successful suspend/resume in the log file at all. Are you sure the laptop is going to sleep on the first attempt? Can you post back a log file after a successful then unsuccessful suspend attempt?

The results of

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series] [1002:9553] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0414]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
    Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
    Memory at cfef0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at cfe00000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
    Kernel driver in use: radeon
    Kernel modules: radeon
    You are using the radeon driver. Which version of Ubuntu are you running? 12.10? Do you have the ATI proprietary driver available in the additional drivers application? Sometimes the proprietary driver is better at suspending.
    Results of
    cat /proc/cmdline

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-17-generic root=UUID=b30dcf90-3dd6-42ae-badb-3a64a72036ca ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7

Any assistance would be most appreciated.
    Thx.
    Nevermind about the proprietary video driver, ATI dropped support for this video card in kernel 3.5. (>12.04).

Two suggestions:
    1. Try booting with the nomodeset kernel parmeter (see the "Temporarily Add a Boot Kernel Parameter" section here for more info)
    2. You could try doing a "resume trace debug" to see if you can identify the problem driver (in case its not the video card). See here for information on how to do it.

Beans

This post is very relevant. Please, respond if you have solved the problem.

Seriously, I agree with the OP. This problem has been persistent in my distributions of Ubuntu for at least 4 years. I can never suspend the pc for that reason.
    Whenever I change to proprietary drivers my GUI just disappears from boot options and I have to use the terminal to re-establish the open source drivers. :/

I will try your approaches to the problem, thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The times I've had suspend/resume problems, it's been either the open video driver or some iterations of the proprietary driver. I have an AMD MoBo - 785 chipset- and Nvidia PCIe video. Presently on 13.10, I had issues with Nvidia 304 which was installed by default. Nvidia 319 experimental has been fine. Suspend/resume works, flash in Firefox behaves, life is good for the moment.
    Last edited by kurt18947; June 21st, 2013 at 01:39 PM.

Beans

What gets up my nose is that my suspend was working perfectly in 13.04, and now its broken again in 13.10. I think it has something to do with fglrx, but getting working gfx drivers is so painful I dont want to swap out to a different driver.....

bleh.

Beans

What do you do if an acer aspire one doesn't ever turn back on after you, put it in suspend, find out it's not working, then manually turn off?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast