Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu Upkeeping on old systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Sendo Eevpix View Post
    Oh Okay, Then What's with all the system tools in the software center?
    Xubuntu is a light weight desktop environment which is popular with older hardware. Hence why we told you to try it. It increases system responsiveness. Ubuntu-Tweek keeps your system clean. Which is good no matter what operating system you use. Your hardware is older and makes it seem like it lags trying to run ubuntu's unity (meant for newer systems)

Beans

The "system tools" in the repositories are mainly for monitoring, repairing, or configuring aspects of your OS.

I've run Linux for approximately ten years; about the only routine maintenance I have to perform is:

- run updates
    - clear the package cache ("sudo apt-get clean")
    - Remove old kernels and kernel header packages

If your system is having lockups and inconsistent behavior, you probably have hardware issues or hardware compatibility issues, and no software utility is going to be able to fix this.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ACubed10 View Post
    Xubuntu is a light weight desktop environment which is popular with older hardware. Hence why we told you to try it. It increases system responsiveness. Ubuntu-Tweek keeps your system clean. Which is good no matter what operating system you use. Your hardware is older and makes it seem like it lags trying to run ubuntu's unity (meant for newer systems)
    Ah Okay. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    The "system tools" in the repositories are mainly for monitoring, repairing, or configuring aspects of your OS.

I've run Linux for approximately ten years; about the only routine maintenance I have to perform is:

- run updates
    - clear the package cache ("sudo apt-get clean")
    - Remove old kernels and kernel header packages

If your system is having lockups and inconsistent behavior, you probably have hardware issues or hardware compatibility issues, and no software utility is going to be able to fix this.
    Yes that is so far what the tech support on PCHelpForum, are thinking, mostly with Flash Drive, while a guy on DeviantART(doctormo) thinks it is a memory card issue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123