Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unknwon Instance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Unknwon Instance

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    Clarify please. What reverse lookups work and don't work and from what clients, both short and long names. From previous postings I had assumed that only short name lookups and only from the particular windows computer, akira, were not working. However, and based on your posting just now, my assumption must be wrong (I think).
    Sorry, I completley mis-read the posting. Nothing has changed, and your windows box is still not auto-appending the domain stuff and thus not submitting the proper long name for reverse lookup. Conclusion: My ipconfig /all output is more like what is needed. Post your dhcpd.conf file, and make sure it contains a line like this (but for your domain):
    Code:
    option domain-name "smythies.com";

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unknwon Instance

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    Sorry, I completley mis-read the posting. Nothing has changed, and your windows box is still not auto-appending the domain stuff and thus not submitting the proper long name for reverse lookup. Conclusion: My ipconfig /all output is more like what is needed. Post your dhcpd.conf file, and make sure it contains a line like this (but for your domain):
    Code:
    option domain-name "smythies.com";
    Okay, its all fixed. Everything is displaying the correct output.

Promise me you won't laugh???

Point to note: When testing the local machine on a LAN to ensure it resolves to the local DNS make sure you disconnect that machine from the VPN service especially if that service is using its own DNS
    Try not to be a man of success but be a man of value
    USE FUL LINKS
    Ubuntu Server setup guide
    setting up a DNS Server on Ubuntu

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234