Thread: How Do I chkdsk /r on Ubuntu Computers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation How Do I chkdsk /r on Ubuntu Computers?

Yesterday, by Dad's computer crashed (running WInows XP), I had to hook up the HDD as an external to my Mom's computer (also running Windows XP) do chkdsk (check disk) /r (repair) in comand promt (entering cmd in the start menu).

How do I do that on ubuntu. I know how to get to the terminal, Ubuntu quick start menu (AAlt+F2). Just wondering, because my main OS is Ubuntu and I also have it on my Mom's computer now, for the time being.

Beans

Re: How Do I chkdsk /r on Ubuntu Computers?

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyAspie View Post
    Yesterday, by Dad's computer crashed (running WInows XP), I had to hook up the HDD as an external to my Mom's computer (also running Windows XP) do chkdsk (check disk) /r (repair) in comand promt (entering cmd in the start menu).

How do I do that on ubuntu. I know how to get to the terminal, Ubuntu quick start menu (AAlt+F2). Just wondering, because my main OS is Ubuntu and I also have it on my Mom's computer now, for the time being.
    fsck is your command. There are some switches also for it but the main command line is:

fsck /dev/sd*

Star is whatever drive you are checking.

for more info on fsck just type in "man fsck" in a term window and it will show you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks, how to you know to drive letter? Is it, for axmaple, main drive is sdc1, 2nd drive is sdb2?

Also, also, how to you put letters in, like -f or -a?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

You cannot run chkdsk on Ubuntu. Microsoft's chkdsk is a utility to repair Microsoft filesystems that only runs in Windows. Linux filesystem utilities are for repairing Linux filesystems. There is a terminal app called ntfsfix but...

Quote Originally Posted by man ntfsfix
    ntfsfix is a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems. ntfsfix is NOT a Linux version of chkdsk. It only repairs some fundamental NTFS inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS consistency check for the first boot into Windows.
    If you have a NTFS filesystem that needs repairing, you need Windows and chkdsk - there is no getting away from that. If you do not have access to a running Windows system and have a Windows installation disc (it needs to be a Microsoft one, not a manufacturer's restore disc) then you can use the repair console command prompt instead.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: How Do I chkdsk /r on Ubuntu Computers?

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyAspie View Post
    ...How do I do that on ubuntu...
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -rF now
    or
    Code:
    sudo touch /forcefsck
    and reboot.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: How Do I chkdsk /r on Ubuntu Computers?

Hi,

I just tried the ntfsfix command in the terminal and it worked for me.

ntfsfix -b /dev/sdc1

Thanks coffeecat for this command.

Everytime the Ubuntu was unable to mount my ntfs drive I had to boot from the cd and then run the chkdsk command but now I think I dont have to do that any more. Thank you once again.