Thread: Syncing Android Contacts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Syncing Android Contacts?

Is there a way to sync the contacts on my phone to Ubuntu One? I ask because right now I have accounts sync my pictures and music which are Ubuntu One and Google. I would like to disable my google account but if I reset my phone or buy a future phone would like to be able to pull my contacts on my phone from Ubuntu One only, is this possible? I hope to be able to do this since I can sync videos, pictures and music if I can syn contacts then I could stop using my google account.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Syncing Android Contacts?

Quote Originally Posted by DMGrier View Post
    Is there a way to sync the contacts on my phone to Ubuntu One? I ask because right now I have accounts sync my pictures and music which are Ubuntu One and Google. I would like to disable my google account but if I reset my phone or buy a future phone would like to be able to pull my contacts on my phone from Ubuntu One only, is this possible? I hope to be able to do this since I can sync videos, pictures and music if I can syn contacts then I could stop using my google account.
    Very interesting idea.

Perhaps you can export the contacts from google, disable your gmail account, then import the contacts into a different contact manager. I don't have any gmail contacts, but I do use google voice and it has phone number contacts, but no email addresses. I respect my family and friends too much to give google their emails or last names.

Very interesting idea. I hope someone has a great, proven, solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I would like to be able to integrate my phone better with U1 but I have been looking and have found no way in doing this and I am guessing no one here has any ideas of making this possible. I just find it annoying that I have things like my pictures syncing to multiple accounts.

I guess the only real fix would be when Ubuntu Phone comes out, I will be getting one if the U.S. is so blessed to receive them.

Does anyone know a good app for Android that only deals in sync contacts?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've disabled google sync completely on my Nexus4. There is a setting (Settings/Personal/Backup & Reset) where sync can be disabled. Also the built-in Power control widget has 5 controls; one of those is to enable or disable sync. Don't know if there is a per-app sync setting, but since I don't want anything syncing with google servers, I'm very willing to disable them all.

When I got my first Android device, I tried to use it for about a 4 days without any google account attached. It was useless - just a web-browser and the pre-installed bloated gaming apps for that specific tablet. Now that I know more, after 18 months of experience with 3 different devices, I should try again.

On a rooted device, you can load a permissions manager app which will provide the ability to disable permissions with finer controls regardless of what the apps claims is required. As long as I didn't disable a core permission required for the app to work, I haven't seen issues, but I'm a professional software developer on many different platforms. I wouldn't recommend turning off permissions to someone who doesn't understand what those allow/disallow.

BTW, I haven't used the gmail app on my devices in months. K-9 has been a reasonable replacement for my needs though it doesn't connect to my enterprise Zimbra calendar or to the GAL (LDAP address book) which is slightly frustrating. There is a paid app for that, I understand.

The Nexus4 has been shown running Ubuntu. I'm not certain if I can trust Canonical as they turn the corner from F/LOSS provider to business trying to earn money. I cannot blame anyone for doing that. Running at a loss for a decade is hard for any business.