Thread: best NES emulator

Beans

best NES emulator

Hi! What is the best nes emulator out there? i.e. one that would allow me to save my game state? Thanks!

Beans

Re: best NES emulator

FCEUX is probably one of the best NES Emulator's out there. And yes, it does support Savestates. But most Emulator's have this Feature.

Beans

FCEUX and GFCEU both crash on save state execution for me for some reason. Also FCEUX crashes so much it is practically unuseable. Im actually running a windows VM now to go back to Nesticle. Its funny how one of the oldest NES emulators is still the best in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Depends on your definition of best.

If you have a powerful enough PC, then BSNES is probably the best in regards to fidelity. Some of the other emulators pull some tricks in order to speed up emulation, at the cost of "true" emulation, which may be evident in screen-artifacts, ridiculous speeds and the likes.

It may not matter to you, but part of the retro "thing" is replicating the slowdowns when the screen is busy, it tickles the childhood-muscle
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Going to try these tonight! Thanks for the info everyone!!

Geeve
    Dell E521, AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 dual-core, 3GB Ram, PNY GeForce 9800GT 1GB, Acer 1916W x2, 250GB internal (main), 500 GB internal (backup), 1TB External

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I think that FCEUX and GFCEU are the best, but Nestopia is also good nes emulator for Linux. If you need multiplayer you can launch Nestopia for Windows though Wine, I checked a few days ago

Here are alternatives
    Yet another blog about Linux Games..- news, ratings, tutorials and competitions