Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Partitions & Installation

Beans

Question Partitions & Installation

I am new to Ubuntu and have always used Windows OS. Due to some political activism, I have come under ongoing cyber attacks and invasions of my overall electronic privacy. Ubuntu was recommended to me as a slightly more secure operating system than Windows. I am not sure if that is the case or not, however, if I do decide to install Ubuntu along side of Windows, what is the best way to partition? I am not sure if I should leave some space for Windows or just close up shop there and trust Ubuntu. I am reluctant to dump Windows entirely as I have several important documents filed away there.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Partitions & Installation

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

I'm glad you ask before you try, because we can help you to avoid some mistakes. It will be easier to help you, if you describe your computer

- brand name and model (if you want to)
    - desktop, laptop, netbook, workstation ...
    - cpu
    - ram
    - hdd (size, and how much is occupied/free)
    - graphics chip/card
    - wifi chip/card (if any)

So, please reply quickly with the computer specs, and look at this link
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity
    while you are waiting for replies with tips what to do.

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; July 1st, 2013 at 01:49 AM.

Beans

Wow, totally unbelievable that I had to establish a new account on this forum because my password was not being accepted and neither were any of the temporary password resets sent to my email. Total FAIL in that area. What's up with that?

Thanks for responding to my previous question.

I have a Dell Inspiron n5110
    640 HD
    Intel Core i5-2410 M 2.3 Ghz x 4
    64 bit

I have tons of free space.

I have never run more than one OS on a single machine. I'm wondering what some of the potential unforeseen problems or issues might be such as how large should each OS partition be, ect? My main concern is with security. As I mentioned, I'm under cyber attack through Windows and wish to avoid further trojan hacks to restore some level of privacy. I have been told that this platform is more secure than Windows.

Any insights into the pros and cons of running two operating systems would be appreciated. Thanks!

Beans

Another concern I have is opening Ubuntu up to my documents stored in Windows. I have read some Ubuntu documents that indicate that using Wine can open access to Windows virus and trojans. This is precisely what I am trying to avoid. Any thoughts or insights there would also be helpful. Thanks!

Beans

Red face Re: Partitions & Installation

Ok, just realized my log in error was my error. It always helps to use the correct user ID.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Partitions & Installation

One thing I have done recently was to install an internal drive bay adapter that lets me swap physical hard disks into the same slot. If I want Windows, then I power down, remove the Ubuntu disk, insert the windows disk and boot the system. This allows me to boot any O/S I want without the trouble of reconfiguring GRUB. GRUB is the boot loader of choice for Ubuntu and other Debian based Linux systems. During my last hardware upgrade I installed a second drive bay which allows me to copy all of my home folder to a second disk and then eject that disk for safe keeping. The bays I used can be found on Newegg here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817990014

I converted to Ubuntu three years ago on my home system and if I run windows at all it is under VirtualBox . Linux is much more stable and does a much better job of handling and recycling memory unlike windows.

ke5sfy

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInReno2 View Post
    I have a Dell Inspiron n5110
    640 HD
    Intel Core i5-2410 M 2.3 Ghz x 4
    64 bit
    It has the horsepower to run any of the Ubuntu Flavours, [vanilla] Ubuntu with fancy Unity desktop environment, Lubuntu ultra light-weight with LXDE, Xubuntu light-weight XFCE or Kubuntu with fancy KDE desktop environment.

But according to Dell's spec pages, there can be different graphics chips in that model. Can you find out about that (using the Control Panel in Windows)?
    I have tons of free space.
    Good! Then we can help you to shrink the disk space for Windows and create an extended partition with a root partition for Ubuntu and a swap partition inside it. Unless you want to dispose of Windows completely.
    I have never run more than one OS on a single machine. I'm wondering what some of the potential unforeseen problems or issues might be such as how large should each OS partition be, ect? My main concern is with security. As I mentioned, I'm under cyber attack through Windows and wish to avoid further trojan hacks to restore some level of privacy. I have been told that this platform is more secure than Windows.
    What version of Windows are you running? Windows 7 or 8? If it is a new Windows system, it might be more complicated to make a dual boot system. Can you find out in the BIOS/UEFI menu, if BIOS or UEFI is used?

Anyway, if you decide to wipe Windows, it might be a good idea to backup a complete image of the drive (so that you can restore the system if you change your mind). And you should make a simple backup copying your personal files (documents, pictures etc) before continuing. So get an external drive (USB3 or eSATA) for the backup if you don't have one already.
    Any insights into the pros and cons of running two operating systems would be appreciated. Thanks!
    When you have installed a dual boot system, it is rather straightforward to run. The only thing to remember is that you should avoid hibernating, because if you boot into the other system after hibernation, what you did after last reboot or poweroff might be partially lost.

Anyway, I suggest that you download iso files for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (and/or the other flavours Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, which is easy if you have a fast internet connection). Burn boot CDs from the iso files but don't install at once. Nota bene: You should make a boot CD from the iso file by an imaging operation. Do not simply 'copy' the file (as you would with a data CD or DVD).

An alternative is to make a boot USB drive with the tool Unetbootin. You can download Unetbootin to Windows to make a boot drive of a USB pendrive (preferably a USB 3 pendrive, which will be much faster than a standard USB 2 drive. (Once in Ubuntu, you can install the linux version of Unetbootin.)

Try them (running a live session) booted from the CD(s) and test which of the flavour you like the best. If you have problems, post it here, and we are many people who can help (if I'm not on-line, others will be).

Once you know what you want, we can help you either to prepare for dual boot with new partitions for Ubuntu or to wipe Windows. From the live session you run gparted to prepare the partitions and file systems. And from the same live session, you can install [KLX]Ubuntu.
    Last edited by sudodus; February 8th, 2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: try the Ubuntu flavours live before installing

Beans

You can also try tails See this link

https://tails.boum.org/download/index.en.html

Beans

Thanks everyone for all the great info! I'm trying to get through the begin stages of learning an entire new OS.

Sudodus, I am running windows 7. I will have to get back to you on the graphics specs. I am already set up with an external hard drive so I'm good to go with back ups.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast