Thread: Install Ubuntu on data partition on ssd with Intel rapid storage technology howto?

Beans

Install Ubuntu on data partition on ssd with Intel rapid storage technology howto?

I have a Dell 15z with hhd of 500G and ssd of 32G. In the ssd is working IRST that have create 2 volume: one of 20G used for the IRST operation, the other of 12G for normal data storage.
    I want to install my ubuntu in this 12G; Any suggestion?

The trick that I have done until now are:

1. Install before ubuntu in a 12G partion and after active IRST, doesn't work because the IRST erase the whole ssd
    2. from cd live I use the command:
      Code:
      sudo dmraid -ay
      that allow me, during the installation process, showing the ssd partition(/dev/sdb) in this way:

If I use Volume_0000p1 for mount the / point and at the voice "Device for install boot loader" I select the Volume_0000 or /dev/sda with inside a bios boot partition; when I finish one of the two kind installation grub start in rescue mode saying: "error: no suc device: 3d5ffec2-c32b-......"

Any Idea?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Install Ubuntu on data partition on ssd with Intel rapid storage technology howto

Usually the live cd doesn't install grub2 correctly on fakeraid (IRST is like a fakeraid installation hence you have the /dev/mapper/... device).

You can try from live mode to chroot into the root partition of the /dev/mapper/... and install grub2 to the MBR of the /dev/mapper/ device. That's where it needs to be usually.

The chroot would be like:
    Code:
    sudo dmraid -ay (if needed)
    sudo mount /dev/mapper/blahblah_Volume_0000p1 /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/mapper/blahblah_Volume_0000
    update-grub
    exit
    sudo umount /mnt/sys
    sudo umount /mnt/dev
    sudo umount /mnt/proc
    sudo umount /mnt
    Reboot and see if it helped.

I am not sure it can work like this with IRST and the ssd part split. I think you have to break up the IRST and use the hdd and ssd separately. That would definitely work.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit