Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HT Omega Claro II sound card

Beans

Re: Can't get my HT Omega Claro II sound card to work!!!

alsaconf isn't used much in these days of pulseaudio, and that solution looks like it wouldn't work (because you have to get the module loaded before you worry about what ALSA index each device has). Since the module is not loading, try to load it manually. What happens then?
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -v snd-oxygen
    aplay -l

Beans

This is the output I got:

Code:
    sudo modprobe -v snd-oxygen
    [sudo] password for sugetsu: 
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, it will be ignored in a future release.
    insmod /lib/modules/3.7.6-030706-generic/kernel/sound/drivers/mpu401/snd-mpu401-uart.ko 
    insmod /lib/modules/3.7.6-030706-generic/kernel/sound/pci/oxygen/snd-oxygen-lib.ko 
    insmod /lib/modules/3.7.6-030706-generic/kernel/sound/pci/oxygen/snd-oxygen.ko 
    sugetsu@sugetsu-desktop:~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
    card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
    card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
    card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
    card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 11: HDMI 5 [HDMI 5]
    I restarted the machine and ran alsamixer but everything is still the same.

Beans

Well, the PCI ID for the Claro II isn't in the latest version of the oxygen driver, so it's not going to work. https://github.com/tiwai/sound/blob/...xygen/oxygen.c

Your best bet from here is to contact ALSA devs directly and ask if there are any plans for Claro II support. If you're lucky, the Claro II isn't that different from the original, and simply adding the PCI ID will get most functionality working (don't get your hopes up, though).
    https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-user

Beans

I am truly shocked, how comes this card is not supported by this OS? This sound card is almost 2 years old now, and it is quite popular in computer stores such as newegg.com: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16829271007

But at least I am hoping that this thread has shed light on this sound card and its incompatibility with linux. I hoping that the forum administrators will notice this serious issue and hopefully take it up with the Alsa development team themselves.

I honestly do not have the necessary programming skills to communicate this problem effectively with the developers.

Isn't ubuntu 13.04 coming out very soon? Is there any chance that the admins and devs will address this problem by then?

Edit: By the way, isnt this card essentially a revamped version of the Claro? They both use the same cmedia chip and people report that the claro does work with linux,is there anything that we are overlooking? I know the PCI ID isn't included in the oxygen driver but isnt there a way to fool the system into thinking that it is running the Claro and not the Claro 2?
    Last edited by Sugetsu; February 11th, 2013 at 05:45 AM.

Beans

You are the one with the hardware, so you must report the issue. If no one with the card reports the issue, it will continue to be unsupported... (and no, you don't need programming skills to send a message to the alsa user list).

Beans

For anyone searching on this card, the final verdict is that the card is unsupported right now. http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-use.../msg29284.html

@Sugetsu: thanks for taking time/effort to clear it up with ALSA devs.

Beans

Re: HT Omega Claro II sound card

You are welcome. I hope the drivers are released some time soon.

Beans

I think this might be helpful; This is also referenced in a link in regard to the HT Omega Striker Board on a Striker board - i.e., different thread - which also might provide more information.

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...:Module-oxygen

I believe I did contact the HT Omega, technical support, several years ago and they were helpful
    ago this might be worth some effort. The linux driver used to be readily available; but, it seems there is copyright/patent issue on the drivers for recording (i.e., Dolby); but, not playback. Like Xerox of old, and Medicines, with small incremental improvements (Dolby etc) , the effectiveness of the patent protection extends well beyond 20 years. .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you already have this information,I apologize for being redundant:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...:Module-oxygen

In the terminal,does alsamixer list the CMI8788 option?

I also have 12.04 lts,64bit, and it took me hours(it seemed longer because of the frustration) to get CA1060 to work.

Try this,worst case,you wasted fifteen minutes:

Go to your terminal and open gnome-alsamixer. If you don't have it,the terminal will tell you how to download and install it. Do so. Then,if it does not show already,open Gnome AlsaMixer, and untick ICE 958.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast