I'm trying to install an Ubuntu 12.10 64bit in my z930 alongside a pre-installed windows 8, but Grub menu won't even show.
My pre-installed distribution comes with the following partitions:
/dev/sda1 - a Windows system recovery
/dev/sda2 - a UEFI partition
/dev/sda3 - a Windows system partition
/dev/sda4 - Windows 8 main partition
/dev/sda5 - Toshiba's windows 8 recovery partition (I delete this one to make space for Ubuntu)
Here is what I've done:
- Resized the windows 8 partition using windows 8 disk management tool.
- Create a partition using windows 8 disk management tool.
- Disable "Intel fast boot" in the UEFI
- Boot my live Ubuntu 12.10 64bit from a USB drive
- I noticed Ubuntu installed doesn't detect the pre-installed windows 8, so I choose "do something else".
- Select /dev/sda5 as root partition and select Btrfs as file system
- Install & reboot
The laptop boot directly into Windows 8, without showing Grub's boot menu, so I reboot from my USB ubuntu installation again and:
- Install and launch boot-repair
- I notice that, in advanced options, there are no Grub options (appear light grey)
- I run the recommended fix and I get this URL: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1630627/
This time my system tries to boot directly into windows 8 again, but it gets stuck in a loop showing the small "loading" windows 8's logo (the one with the 6 little circles dancing around).
I tried overwriting Windows 8's UEFI boot with grub's one, but it's all the same (the fix is suggested here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/23556...t-boot-manager).
I don't know what else to do, can somebody help me?