Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu VS Ubuntu Gnome remix?!?

Beans

Post Ubuntu VS Ubuntu Gnome remix?!?

I am planning to upgrade to the ubuntu 12.10. But i heard that the GNOME in ubuntu is a bit unstable and no one is recommending it! The thing is that whether the Ubuntu Gnome Remix is stable and will it be recommended by you?? Or is it good to install gnome over unity?? (I will be using Gnome). And if it's good to install gnome over the unity, what is the difference??

Thanks in Advance.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Ubuntu VS Ubuntu Gnome remix?!?

Think I would be tempted to install both 12o4 (stable) and Remix. You will never know how good or bad it is on your box until you try it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have installed Gnome shell over ubuntu 12.04 and my experience is pretty good. Actually if you install Gnome shell over general Ubuntu, then some specific packages related to unity will be in there. If you are determined that, you'll use Gnome shell permanently, then I think you don't need to take the burden of unity related package or anything like that.

So, in my opinion if you only use Gnome then Ubuntu Gnome Remix is better choice for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Where did you hear this

But i heard that the GNOME in ubuntu is a bit unstable and no one is recommending it!
    It is simply untrue! I have 12.04, 12.10, 13.04 and Ubuntu Gnome Remix 12.10 converted to 13.04. Add the fact that the Gnome people are still developing Gnome 3 DE and Gnome 3 shell to the fact that just a few people are developing Gnome Remix and I am not be surprised to find there are some issues on Gnome Remix.

I do not find any instability in Ubuntu Unity running on Gnome 3 DE. Gnome Remix is based upon Ubuntu so if Gnome 3 DE is unstable in Ubuntu then, it must also be unstable in Gnome Remix.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ReleaseNotes/12.10

Some people do not like the Unity user interface. Well, if you are one of those people then you will find that Gnome 3 shell is very similar. Do not forget that Ubuntu uses Gnome utilities in the distribution. Download both ISO images and try them out in a live session and make your own mind up.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 9th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I have been using the Gnome Shell very successfully on my Ubuntu installations since 11.10. The remix is not an option you can select during a normal Ubuntu upgrade so you will have to try it separately as stated by the others.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu VS Ubuntu Gnome remix?!?

Thanks for all the reply and i installed gnome remix 12.10!! My laptop is Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN, it's sound card is working and unlike the 12.04 LTS its utilising the 2.1 JBL speakers, THanks. But the laptop is heating too much! Why is that?? ANybody have any idea??

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by NikiNfOuR View Post
    But the laptop is heating too much! Why is that?? ANybody have any idea??
    If Jupiter is still available for Ubuntu, give Jupiter a try. It allows you to tweak power use in laptops.

Beans

Post Re: Ubuntu VS Ubuntu Gnome remix?!?

Quote Originally Posted by aspergerian View Post
    If Jupiter is still available for Ubuntu, give Jupiter a try. It allows you to tweak power use in laptops.

I don't think it's available for 12.10. It's definitely heating than it should!! And another problem i encountered is after installing the bumblebee for nvidia drivers, i think it's not moved to the onboard graphics hence the same old one and a half hours battery backup...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm far from expert but wonder about:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/jupiter
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install jupiter

from: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/jupit...itches-to.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi ,
    I see your Samsung laptop has Nvidia GeForce GT 650M as another graphics, apart from onboard graphics. This might be the only reason of heavy power consumption (~36 Watts) on your laptop. Half of your problem would be solved if you had installed bumblebee properly.

I had earlier tried Jupiter but it didn't make any difference for my machine.
    You say bumblebee is installed in your lappy, but I recommend you to follow this page to go through carefully first, and then install bumblebee.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

Post if any difficulty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast