Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Boot Partition is Copied what then?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If Boot Partition is Copied what then?

I have deleted the former partitions on which Woindows sat. Now that they have been deleted, GParted calls that partition /sda1. (It used to be /sda1 and /sda2.) I want to copy the /sda3 (boot partition) to the /sda1.

What steps will I then take for GRUB2 to understand that something has changed?

1 - Do I mark the copied partition as boot in GParted?

2 - As long as GRUB2 sees /sda1 as the boot partition, does it matter if I don't delete the current /sda3 just yet? This is my fail-safe. If it blows up, I want a bootable 'puter.

2 - What changes do I make in /etc/fstab before closing this LiveUSB session and rebooting?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Canon MB2320 all-in-one, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: If Boot Partition is Copied what then?

Normally not a good idea to renumber partitions. But Ubuntu primarily uses UUIDs so device numbers like /dev/sda3 are less important. But if you attempt to copy a partition with gparted it will also copy UUID and you cannot have duplicate UUIDs. Then you have to manually change UUID and update fstab & reinstall grub.

Whatever you decide to do make sure you have good backups.

Partitions do not have to be in order. You could just make the sda1 a data partition in ext4 format. Or you can delete it and move the start of sda3 left into the unallocated and expand to include all the space. I normally do not like moving partitions left. It is both slower as all data is rewritten and any interruption by user or power failure will totally corrupt system. But it will work.

All of the changes need to be with liveCD or flash and swap unmounted. You cannot work on mounted partitions (little key icon in your screenshot shows the mounted partitions).
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If GParted copies /sda3 to /sda1 it harms itself as it copies the UUID? OR if /sda3 is copied to /sda1 I then must delete /sda3?

I have to manually change the UUID of /sda3 BEFORE copying?

Sorry for screenshot. I was just getting started this morning. Attached LiveUSB of GParted.

As for stable electricity, etc. I live in a big city and few electrical problems currently. I also have uninterruptable power supply, although that would supply 30 minutes, max. Just sayin'.

Lastly, if I make the /sda1 a "data partition" do you know if MythTV is "smart" and can be told to use it and another partition, if one partition gets nearly full? This would be the best solution for me. OR can the grub2/fstab be told to use both /sda5 (/home) and /sda1 for "data"?

In my ignorance of how Linux operates, I somewhat assumed that the way to do this is to copy the root to /sda1, delete /sda3, expand /sda1 to include former space of /sda3 and then to expand /sda5 to use 55 of the 60 gig available in /sda1. (As I type this I see I cannot put in words whether I understand what I am trying to explain.)

For reference:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Feb 9 00:56 0ac46a28-6e61-4dc4-b144-a792803ff60b -> ../../sda6
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Feb 9 00:57 36cdd55c-9079-4455-8627-c3b8bfda3a45 -> ../../sda5
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Feb 9 00:57 a19439e8-8efd-460b-8014-4a442c19628c -> ../../sda3
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Feb 9 00:57 fd7584d6-3286-4365-8101-0451d1c5bc2e -> ../../sda1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Feb 9 00:57 1885-CB82 -> ../../sdb1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Feb 9 00:56 5c9a6ed1-2994-4549-b87c-735f94f1cb55 -> ../../sdc1
    Last edited by Mark_in_Hollywood; February 9th, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Canon MB2320 all-in-one, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I do not have myth, but those that I have seen usually have a small / (root) partition and a monster partition or drive just for the files. A few have used a small SSD from the system and a large drive for files. I do not think myth data is normally in /home, but do not know for sure.

You can mount partitions separately with fstab and link it into /home or mount directly into /home. I now keep /home inside root and have all data in data partitions on another drive.

I prefer just reinstalling, especially if you have separate /home or data partitions. It is quick, easy if you have planned ahead a bit.

If you use gparted to copy /, you will have to change UUID of one or the other partitions, probably edit fstab and reinstall grub.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you for your help again, OldFred.

For now, it' too much information and I'm overwhelmed. It's news to me that I can have a second drive with data on it and another drive for the 12.04 OS. (or any other higher numbered OS).

What do you think about moving all the data to the right?

I could expand the current /sda1 to 100 gig (from 68 gig). Is moving right somehow better?

Would that mean resizing the /sd5 and then the /sd3? Or can that be done simultaneously?

All this somewhat reminds me of what the Old Indian said. See attached screenshot.

And thank you, again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As the Indian is saying the hard drive will not change size how every you slice it.

What is the real goal?

I prefer small root partitions of 15 to 25GB and all data elsewhere. But for reliability I want an entire system on one drive but an operating system on every drive. And since I do not trust drives long term, so every couple of years I buy a new one as my main drive and lower the use, more as backup of the older drives.

I am now up to 4 drives on my 6+ year old system with XP & Ubuntu still on my original two 160GB drives, but do not boot XP. My new 62GB SSD has two Ubuntu's, my current working and the next version for testing. I also then have all data on a somewhat newer 640GB drive and many older or new test installs of Ubuntu. Every install uses the same data partitions via links.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I got my first PC in about 1982. I got used to DOS locking up, then Windows blowing up. First COM port incompatabilities, the Registry @#5Vd3*% then, a truly non-robust OS. How is it that Mr. Gates can sell a known defective product at a fixed price? Prior to 1984, I had a Kaypro-II and before that, a Commodore-64. Don't laugh!

So, I'm a Neanderthal in terms of modernizing to reflect the true value of what Linus Torvalds gave the world. Yet, I'm trying to learn and adapt.

I guess I believe that the newly freed 68gig should go on the end of /sda5. But, technically that's not necessary. With your help, Old Fred, I now understand that. I want to make some use of that space. I guess it can go for data, the only question is how to make it part of my current /home with links or in some other way. I guess that moving all those partitions around (back and forth) isn't such a good idea after all. Especially if the partitions can hook up with each other.

I have but one hard drive for the OS. It's a 400-gig refurbished Western Digital "enterprise class" or server grade hd with a mtbf of 1.2 million hours. In buying this drive, my first SATA, I got a real bargain at $40. S.M.A.R.T. show zero flaws or other problems after 25,000 hours of use. I will never by a non-server grade drive again.

Please point me towards a Ubuntu Doc that shows how to tie the partitions together, if you know one. Or at least give me the nomenclature to search for.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Don't mess with the partitions, it can go really bad if you do something wrong.
    As OldFred said; a small root partitions of 15 to 25GB (maybe 30 GB) is recommended. Personally, I recommend to have /home, /boot and /tmp on different partitions as well. If you have an SSD you might wanna enable TRIM for Linux in fstab (I think you have to add "discard,noatime" to the mount options and then manually run fstrim -v /path/to/mounted/ssd/partition to enable it).

Why separate /boot and /tmp from the rest? If something goes wrong when updating the kernel or when you reconfigure GRUB, it's much easier to fix it if /boot is on a separate partition. The same thing with /tmp. If something does wrong there, it's easy to fix it if it's on its own partition.
    If you are paranoid, make a own partition for all the folders in /. Or just backup the data you wanna keep, e.g. with rsync or to a cloud service.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Mark_in_Hollywood

Hi. I am a little confused about what you want to do. Is sda1 empty? If so you can

Install Ubuntu into sda1, giving sda1 the mount point of / and sda5 the mount point of /home. During the re-install Grub will also be re-installed into the MBR of sda and it will boot the Ubuntu on sda1.

The Grub menu will also give you an option to boot Ubuntu on sda3. But you can now delete sda3. You can then shrink sda1 to about 25GB. Expand sda4 to take up all the unallocated space. Then expand sda5 to take up the unallocated space within sda4.

When I move or resize my partitions I do one action at a time. We can put in a list of actions to be performed one after another but that will take a long time to run. And I worry about things going wrong. They say it can happen. I have not experienced this. I do one action with Gparted at a time. Even re-loading the live session each time. And making sure Ubuntu still boots.

Remember, once you have deleted sda3 there will still be a listing for it in the Grub menu. To remove that item run

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 10th, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Why separate /boot and /tmp from the rest? If something goes wrong when updating the kernel or when you reconfigure GRUB, it's much easier to fix it if /boot is on a separate partition. The same thing with /tmp. If something does wrong there, it's easy to fix it if it's on its own partition.
    If you are paranoid, make a own partition for all the folders in /. Or just backup the data you wanna keep, e.g. with rsync or to a cloud service.
    I have / on a separate partition (that's my /sda3 of about 15 gig). I have /home as /sda5. That's about 220 gig (less the 68 gig I'm posting here about)

What I did was to delete a partition where win-7 sat. It is now empty, has about 68 gig of free space and I'm trying to find the best solution to putting it to good use. Thanks for your input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast