Thread: Disk Read Error - Nothing Is Working

Hybrid View

Beans

Disk Read Error - Nothing Is Working

I recently tried to dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 with an old Windows XP System. Instantly after installing upon start up I get "Disk Read Error" then the whole ctrl + alt + del thing. I don't get a grub menu or anything. Oddly, if I keep the usb in that I used to install Ubuntu and boot from that USB it'll bring up the Ubuntu grub menu. It'll work if I choose Ubuntu but if I choose Windows it goes back to the "Disk Read Error". I've tried countless solutions to repair the MBR. I've tried:

Terminal
    -Boot-Repair
    -LILO

Windows XP Recovery Console
    -Fixboot
    -Fixmbr
    -CHKDSK /R
    -CHKDSK /P

None of it has fixed the issue and I installed Ubuntu following the directions on a distro site. One might think it is installed to the USB since it requires the usb to boot into Ubuntu but that is incorrect. Once booted I can remove the USB and it works fine. Also, I have reformatted the USB and wiped it completely and it still requires me to boot from the USB to load the Ubuntu grub.

I want to get my Windows XP back, and I'm definitely removing Ubuntu from that computer and never trying to dual boot again. Too much hassle. I do not wish to reformat the entire hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. I need this fixed ASAP.
    Last edited by JosephBeck; February 8th, 2013 at 08:13 PM.

Beans

Re: Disk Read Error - Nothing Is Working

Bump

Beans

Bump x2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

You need to QUIT bumping -- rule of thumb around her is ONCE every 24 hours, not repeatedly. This is a GLOBAL forum and it could be some time before someone comes along, reads your thread, and provides a response.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What size is the hard disk and how old is it? A read error may be an indication of a hard disk failure. Some hard disks read in the firmware on the first few cylinders and won't boot up properly if there is a disk head problem.

When you boot into BIOS (F2 or Del) can you see your hard disk in the list of drives?

Yes, installing a dual-boot system can be a hassle, but if you have wonky hardware, it can be a nightmare. Most installs go fine. A few don't.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.