Thread: Undelete files

Beans

Undelete files

I have accidentally deleted some files. In windows it is easy peasy to undelete files but in ubuntu it is like trying to read mandarin. I have downloaded e2undel but haven't the faintest how to use it. I don't understand what mount means. I don't understand how to see where files and directories are (is there no equivalent to windows explorer showing you the tree?). Everywhere I look on the interent it just says how easy it is, and then immediately starts gobbledigook again!

Beans

Re: Undelete files

the deleted file is in trash folder, you can find it in the bottom of the launcher

Beans

where did you delete file? if you using flashdisk you can find .trash 1000 by clicking ctrl + h and go to file folder and there is the file
    Last edited by hnf a; February 14th, 2013 at 12:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick1234 View Post
    (is there no equivalent to windows explorer showing you the tree?).
    Actually, YES there is -- even better than Windows Explorer.

You need to install Gnome-Commander. This is a multi-panel filesystem browser modeled after some Window tools.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You are confusing me.

Re: Tree View
    What is wrong with using the file manager that comes with your distro? Since you are posting under Ubuntu, this would be Nautilus. Kubuntu would be Dolphin. Thunar in Xubuntu, PCManFM in Lubuntu. In Nautilus, you can change the sidebar to tree view from the menu. View>Sidebar>Tree. Not a shred of gobbledegook.

Re: Undelete
    At the bottom of your launcher is the trash basket. Clicking on it opens up the basket. Just select your file and undelete it. Easy Peasy and not a word of Mandarin.

While I realize that dealing with an unfamiliar operating system can be overwhelming, dissing it on a forum of enthusiasts who are all volunteers is a pretty unwise way of asking for help. Besides, by what logic did you arrive at the conclusion that you could just boot up Linux and expect Windows?

Psychocats is an excellent site for newbies. You should surf through it to gain a minimal understanding of Ubuntu before proceeding further.